Multiple Sclerosis Community
cold/chills at night

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

cold/chills at night

Just wondering if any of you experience the chills and feel real cold at night time.  I feel like I get a fever around the same time each night for the last few nights.  But I can't find the darn thermoniter so I can't check it.  I don't think I really do though.  Any ideas???  This should be an easy one for all of you pros.
Cheers, Terrie
Are you taking interferon injections?
No.  I am taking Nortriptyline for migraines, pain, and better sleep.  Have you heard of it?  It is an anti-depressant that is used for other symptoms as well, such as pain.  I am pretty sure that I had these night chills before I began the meds though.  In fact I used to have a heck of a time regulating my temperature.  I would get hot, then get cold especially at nighttime.  I have a special blanket that I use that seems to be the only one I can tolerate.  Thanks for the response.
I take an Anti-Depressant too and it does throw off my body temperature regulation, perticularly first thing in the morning when I go from sleeping to activity.
That may be it then.  Thank you for your answers.  Funny how it affects people differently.  Your from sleeping to activity and mine from activity to sleeping.
I often get really hot at night for some reason and have had to sleep with my fan on, even through Winter sometimes!!! Bizarre I know. I'm not on any meds just yet, well none that I think causes that. My friends joke that I am going through early onset menopause because I get hot flushes during the day too. Yeah, really funny hehe

Mel
That is one thing I considered also, but had my hormone levels checked and they are still functioning properly.  Did you know that you can have your hormones checked to rule it out?
Terrie
I didn't know that! Maybe I should... I am only 24 though - it would be a hell of a thing to have happen to me... then again so would MS hehe (I don't know why that's funny... I'm needing something at the moment to make me giggle)

I need to go back to the Dr to get a couple things checked out anyway, so maybe I'll ask if that was something they tested for. Thanks :-)

Mel
Hi again, I did not know you were so young...aahhhh to be that young again, you should be feeling good and enjoying every second.  I hope you do soon. It is most likely not your hormones then.  I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, but kept my ovaries.  But sometimes after a hysterectomy, you can go into early menopause, so we had to rule that out.  You are a high scool teacher, what do you teach?
Terrie
I'm four years past my hysterectomy and thought I was past all the temp swings, but lately I'm cold when I get into bed but after a few minutes I'm sweating so much I kick the covers off (sleeping in a tee shirt) yet I wake up in the middle of the night covered up and freezing and end up putting a heavy nightgown on.  I've alternated between sweating and shivering so much that the rest of the family will not let me adjust the thermostats because it really is me, not the temperature in the room
moeck
I SWEAT PROFUSELY  IT COMES AND GOES
SOMETIMES I GET THE CHILLS ALSO.
I HAD MY HORMONED CHECKED AND THEY ARE FINE.
I READ SOME THING ABOUT SWEATING WITH MS
IT IS DAMAGE TO YOU THEROMREGULATORY PART OF THE
BRAIN. YOU BODY CAN NOT CONTROL IT TEMPERTURE
DUE TO DAMAGE IN THAT PART OF THE BRAIN.
GOOGLE    THEROMREGULATORY DYSFUNTION.
I DID, I STARTED SWEATS 9 MONTHS AGO
AND BELEAVE ME I SWEAT SO MUCH I HAVE
TO CHANGE MY CLOTHING ESPECIALLY AT NITE
IT WAKE ME UP. PRETTY GROSS HUH.
KITT
Yeah, I guess I'm a bit young for menopause. Hard to know what to hope for illness wise hehe Which one would I prefer to have, you know? :-)

I teach mostly German, SOSE (a mix of History/Geography) and Computing. This is my first year teaching but next year there's some talk of me becoming a Coordinator, which is crazy because that is very quick to go into management. I hope I get to - it would lighten my teaching load and allow me to sit down more often without having to go part time. We'll see!

Mel :-)
I also feel chills. But I am also on remeron which is an antidepressant to.
I have chills like crazy (only at night) and have not started any of the inferons yet...I'm on topamax for the terrible headaches and seizures, and baclofen, and alertec...
Interesting that you should bring this up. I've always wondered about it, because it happened to me for a number of years.

It started when I was perimenopausal and lasted for a number of years past menopause. I could almost set a clock to it and it only happened in the cooler months (sunlight?). From about 6 pm to 10 pm, I would be freezing cold. Even with the temperature set at 68 degrees and wearing two heavy sweaters, a fleece jacket, two pairs of socks and shoes, I was still chilled to the bone. Once that 4 hour period passed, I would warm up again.

While I did wake up at night during menopause feeling warm, I never experienced a hot flash. Its been well over 10 years since my last period, so I doubt that they would start now.

I was taking Paxil, an antidepressant at the time. I find it very interesting how many posters are female and mention antidepressants. I went off Paxil cold turkey (something I would not recommend) and no longer go through the ritual feeling like ice at night.

TonkaSpirit, you may be onto something!

Audrey