cold weather and MS???
We live in the mid atlantic region and it has been extremely cold.  Since the bitter cold arrived, Craig's body has begun falling apart.  Lots more leg spasticity.  So much so that when he showed up to have his legs stretched tonight, his left leg would not stretch.  It was shaking uncontrollably, and would not allow any of the leg muscles to move.  The physical therapist panicked a bit and did not know what to do.  So he gave up.  It was late and the supervisor of the center had gone home.

Also, his body is twitching a lot more and he has more severe fatigue than normal.

Does extreme cold stress the body in MS and make symptoms worse?  I know heat can do this, but has anyone ever read if extreme cold can do things too?

Thanks for your help.  I am ready to put him on a plane to Phoenix to see his friend. and see if milder weather will help.

Elaine
Well, I just looked up some old posts from November 2007 and AKCowboy was talking about how the colder weather makes his spasms worse.

Any one else notice this?
Elaine
I know it makes my fibro spasms worse, so I expect it would make Craig worse too. So sorry to hear he isn't doing well. Could he make the long plane ride? I know when I fly from Oregon to Florida, I'm hurting for 2 days. Hang in there woman....take care of yourself too.

Hugs & Prayers
Maggie
Hi Elaine,

It's been colder here this winter and I've had more difficulty with fatigue and spasms.  Not having a dx, I don't know for sure why this is happening.

Hope Craig feels better soon, take care of yourself too Elaine.

doni
Extreme cold makes my spasticity worse, and also makes my weakness worse.  When my hands get cold, it takes a long time for them to get back to normal.

I know that heat will help those muscles relax - try wrapping his legs up in a blanket turned on low.

Man... I had that uncontrollable thing this morning - went to stretch my leg out, and it started jerking back and forth.  I got it to relax, finally.  It's worst in the mornings when I get up, and I'm usually just a little stiff the rest of the day.
Hi Elaine -

I can tell you that my legs have been "not good" and this is the 3rd day. I never thought it could be the cold temps, but now that you bring this up and you are getting exactly what we are, I wonder...hmmmmm

I'll be watching this thread closely, to see what all have to say...

ttys,
Shell
I agree and have read that the cold is hardest on the muscles.  Muscles tend to seize-up in the cold anyway.  We all know that a cold muscle that is exercised is more likely to be injured.

Cold does increase spasticity and cramping.  Those couple days back a while when we had freezing temps (20's F) I moved more slowly, my leg was stiff and my backwent into some spasm.

Severe cold is not good.  We all need a very temperate climate.

Q
It has been crazy here! -20 this morning. I have bought some things to wear under my clothes to stay warm. I have some good boots from Lands End I wear a lot.  I think they are wool inside.  Nice and warm. I have stayed in the house these past few days with the temps as they have been.  
Thanks so much.  I knew I could count on all of you!  
Elaine
Thanks for bringing this up, Elaine. My legs have been stiffer and tighter recently. It hadn't occurred to me to blame the cold, especially since I haven't been outside all that much. It would be nice, though, if that's all it is and not that I'm really getting worse.

sho
I always feel like I'm not going to be a ton of help answering questions because I don't have a dx, but...cold weather is hard for me to manage, although nothing like hot weather. In the cold, I just have a really hard time adjusting body temp and things have to be "just right" for me not to have stiffness and just abnormally cold areas of my body. But yes, the stiffness, which is always at its worst when I wake up in the morning or after sitting, is exacerbated by cold. But cold does NOT mess with my head or other functions in the way heat does, so I'll take it over heat any day.

E
I realized recently that the extreme cold does affect me, not all my symptoms, just my paresthesias.  My left hand feels sunburned and/or frostbitten most of the time: numb yet burning. The extreme cold makes these sensations much more pronounced, and it takes a while upon warming up indoors for it to ease up.  It also temporarily worsens my functioning; my left hand is clumsy enough as it is, but after being out in the cold, it is so numb I am sure to drop whatever I may try to pick up with it.

I don't have muscular symptoms/spasticity so don't know what that's like, although it sounds painful based on what others are saying here.

The temp here has gone from minus 30's - 40's Celsius to a high of plus 2 today.  In northern Alberta terms, this is balmy!  This is after at least 6 weeks of extremely low temps.  Finally I will be able to get outside with my dogs.  

Are you all warming up, wherever you are?
Does anyone think that the fact that it is cold and we have to go into the artifically heated stores and offices has anything to do with it? I mean that the heat is a factor in our condition and at this time of year you are in more clothes and in areas that are heated to 75 degrees sometimes. It is cold here and I noticed this the other day and I have turned the thermostat down and I take off any extra clothes upon entering a building. I have been doing some better. I removed a blanket from the bed and that seems to have helped too.

Christy

It's so cold for the south that I cannot get my dog to go outside. Brrrrrrrrrrr!
Yeah, I definitely noticed, especially in the last week, some of my symptoms (pain wise) are worse.  Strange, can't get too hot, can't get too cold. Not much I do helps with the pain but like "jensequiter" said, heating pads, especially for my back and hands has been helping out quite a bit.  If only I had more of them.  Isn't it funny though how we can use a heating pad, at least temporarily, but not take a hot bath....I miss those :0(
I like my house a little cool, like 62 or so.  If I have to put on more clothes, than good.  At least I can take some off to be cool.  That's another reason I don't like to go to department or grocery stores.  They keep it too warm in my opinion.
But, I definitely agree with biowham, I'll take the cold anyday over the heat and humidity!!  Can't take enough clothes off then, LOL!!!

MostlyShell