Multiple Sclerosis Community
cramping feet??????

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

cramping feet??????

Very wierd. Both feet are cramping up. I just get one to un-cramp (by bending the toes back) and the other one cramps.  OUCH!!!!

I've had the odd foot cramp in my life, but this is rediculous! It's been going on for 20 or 30 minutes now..WTF.

Could this in any way be MS related? It's the strangest darn thing!

Mike
I have experienced what you are talkign about and nothing helped for me. Just got diagnosed on may 25th and once I was on Prednisone, the cramps went away.

Usually my leg cramps lasted around 10-15 min and they do hurt and makes your muscle sore.

Yup, yup, definitely.  Mine usually happen after I've been overdoing it.  Have you been out in the heat or something?
Hi Mike,

I've been getting both feet cramping for years, wake me up from sleep, no fun! I was blood tested way back then and told i had poor circulation, I think there might be a ring of truth to it. My feet are purple and sometimes the purple goes up to my thighs and during the heated months, my veins bulge, I could be just connecting the dots on this one. lol

A few years ago my knee's starting waking me up from my sleep, i've had problems with my knees for too many years but I was not too happy when they started waking me up too. It sort of feels like a cramp, that same crippling burst of pain and just as sudden, unlike the foot cramps there's nothing to bend back lol. I dont think i can count the number of times i've hit the deck because I've stood up and one of my knees freaked, it sure feels the same but when i'm sleeping and they do it, i find it harder understand.

My right hand now goes into a cramp just like my feet, fingers bending weirdly, I have to bend them back and hold them until it stops. I dont know about you but over the years i've tried so many of the 'home remidies' and if i eat another banana i'll gag lol nothing has worked so far, though i've never been offered medical intervention beyond food.

I'd bring it up at your next dr appointment if it doesn't go away.

Cheers.........JJ

Hi Mike

I have been getting the same symptoms, for just over 6 weeks, every single night with out fail, it is really disrupting my sleep I can tell you

Like you i get one foot/leg uncramped and the other one starts, then i get both feet/leg sorted out and as soon as i get back into bed, it all starts up again

I am not sure what is causing it, I am on high dose prednisone and initially I though it may be that, as it started about then

I see the Rheumy in a c couple of weeks and the Neuro next week, so will let you know what they say about it all,

if you see ur doc before them you can let me know what he says lol

Take Care

Tyler
Hey Mike...I have that problem as well and when it happens ya just wanna chop em off!  I find that I have problems with them if I get my feet either really cold or really hot or if I am REALLY tired due to over doing it.  As Siv1 said, using steroids took mine away for a while as well but who wants to be doing those very often.  I found massage and walking work the best for me...give it a try!  I hope they go away soon and sorry to hear you are in pain...nobody deserves that!

Foot Massaging Hugs,
Rena
Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm not alone with this one.

No, I haven't really been over doing it, but I have been making myself stay awake all day instead of taking a nap (and I am TIRED!)

I'll write it down and be sure to mention it at my next neuro appt in Nov if it keeps happening.

Tyler, please be sure and let us know what the doc's say.

Mike
For a month now ive been getting severe cramping and bendin of both feet:(
Always to the point i have to grab and straighten them......happens Always at night, dont do anything different.... Its scary cause If i let them cramp n bend it feels like they r about to snap... Painful...
What do u call this??
Get you some meds for them Mike S! Especially if they are longer than usual, and you've not been low on water, etc.

I've been taking 1 zanaflex @ night, and have not been waking up in a pretzel!

-shell
No Dx at this point in time but this is something I deal with fairly often...my husband laughs because I will be talking and then suddenly it just takes my breath away and I hop around like a wounded rabbit. Frustrating and painful. I often wake up with them or when I streatch. Might sound silly...but have you gotten new shoes recently? There is something about one pair that I have. If I wear them to work, I get horrible foot/toe cramps all night. Of course...I no longer have those shoes! Take care and good luck with it all.
Kim
This is another example I believe - old post pulled the first page without cause.
Since I was diagnosed November 07 I have had a feeling on the bottom of my foot the area below my toes ( is that called the ball?) it feels like something is wrapped around that area. And now my toes on both feet hardly can bend. I hate wearing shoes, when I do my left foot seems to swell up a little more than the right and can't wait to remove the shoe. The heat even makes it worse. Can anyone relate to this and have suggestions for relief?
Thank you ,Dawn
Mine do the same thing as well. I have to massage the area right below the ankle bone. my 2nd to 4th toe try and stand straight up and I have to massage my toes to where they are in a pointed stance. I wake up during the middle of the night and it is so frustrating. when I massage one put the other one starts. in the morning I wake up and can feel the pressure at the bottom of my feet from the cramping through the night. then it happens just as I'm walking down the halls at work. I need some relief!!