Multiple Sclerosis Community
decision made....

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

decision made....

Thank you all for your input. I just got off the phone and the process has been started for the copaxone therapy.  I really appreciate all of your advice.  So anybody have any advice for someone about to start copaxone???? lol  Don't mean to sound glib but i feel a sense of humor is the only way to get through the day!  Thank you all!!
Hi there,

I'm sorry to not have met you when you 1st came on, so sending you a belated welcome from me!

I'm on Rebif.  I get some lumps, redness, etc. We do have others here on Copax, so I'm sure they will chime in and fill you in on all the particulars.

I'm all about gettin by w/some laughter....

Glad to have you here and see you around!
Hi again. Good for you! You are taking an important positive step.

Before you start Copaxone, the Shared Solutions people will be in touch, maybe too often :-)  and a nurse will be sent to your house to help you with your first shot. You'll get loads of info in the mail.

You won't ever have to wing it, no matter what, because many members here are on Copaxone and will share their experiences and answer any questions that arise. So relax and be glad you're doing something good for yourself.

ess
The best way to start any drug is to be informed.  The is power in knowledge.

The needles are small.  In fact the makers of Copaxone just made them thinner.

In the beginning, (most likely) you will have red welts and stinging.  In those beginning shots, it's best to ice the area for about 5 minutes before your injection.  Make sure that your medication is at room temperature.  Even warming it in your hand.

Make sure that the alcohol prep wipe is totally dry, before you inject.  It's probably best to get a piece of sterile gauze and wipe the area to dry it further.  Alcohol stings like the dickens if it gets under your skin.

My best advice is to remember to rotate.  Your belly is the easiest place, but I found that since it was so easy, I used it too much.  The shots in my arm stung the worst.  Even after 15 months of being on Copaxone, I still get the welts and stinging sometimes, but rarely now.

You may feel comfortable either icing or warming the injection site for about 10 minutes after the shot.  You made need nothing.

If "Shared Solutions" gets to calling you too much, ask them to please not call.  Tell them that you will call them, if you have a question.  They are very nice, but tended to call at very inopportune times.

Since I used to be an insulin diabetic, I didn't need for one of their nurses to come to my house to teach myself how to do the shot.  They will offer you an "auto-injector" to use if you want.  If you can take giving yourself a shot without it, there is less of a skin reaction.  The auto-injector can feel like a rubber band snap against your skin.  The spring in it, is just too strong.  That's only my opinion.

You'll do fine.  I am 15 months in and I am still here to talk about it.

All the Best,
Heather
TsunnyB,
I am another one of the satisfied (so far!) copaxone users here.  Unlike the others though, I love the autoinject pen.  It allows me to do all of my own injections in those hard to reach places.  My DH is more than happy to help but I like doing it myself.  

I do rotate through all 7 sites each week just for the variety.  Once you do this a few times, it will be very easy.  We have had this copaxone discussion a number of times and if you want to read more, just search for copaxone.  

The SS people will train you and be more than willing to talk to you day or night if you have questions or concerns.  

Unlike the other DMD's, copaxone doesn't have the flu like side effects, so after the initial sting of the shot you can get on with whatever it is you want to do.  

Be well,
Lulu

I to will be starting copaxone soon talked to SS Friday they have already sent me out the handbook. I did ask the nurse when the best time to take inj. she said maybe at nihjt when things settle in the house only because sometimes people get a chest tightening and hot flash that should only last for about 15 min also sometimes the inj  site gets sore so then you can ice it w/o having to worry about rushing out of the house in the morning with work,school, kids etc.. I don't know if this will help you

Lynn
for all the input.  i am an avid researcher that is for sure. i spent a little too much time looking copaxone up yesterday i am afraid. i went to bed very disheartened last night about what i read. I am truly relieved that i woke up to these responses.  have a wonderful day everyone.
sunny = )
ps: anymore advice on taking the shots easier is still welcome!! lol
Hi there,

i go to SF tomorrow to start mine, not sure yet how to pay for it however. But I am going.

It doesn't sound fun but it seems to be the one most people like.  We will see, amxious to see how yours goes .....if I can find you again.  I have a hard time on here at times.

hugs, meg