Multiple Sclerosis Community
diet

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

diet

For those of us waiting in limbo land and wanting to improve our quality of life and give our bodies the best chance of dealing with our symptoms, do any of you have any suggestions on what we should include or exclude from our diets?  What about suppliments?  Just curious if any of you do anything special.  Thanks.
I will be seeing a new doc in a few weeks.  He is an Integrative Medicine doc.  I am sure he will be putting me on a Gluten free diet.  I am waiting to start the diet for two reasons:

1. It's hard.  No wheat, rye, or barley
2. In case he wants to test for actual Celiac disease-tests will be negative, regardless of if I have it or not, if I have already cut out gluten.

I definitely believe in this type of medicine.  My son is on gluten free, dairy free diet along with numerous supplements from his doc, and no longer has the extreme behavioral problems he had with his autism.  The diet worked better than powerful medications, of which he no longer takes any!

More docs are starting to recommend trying gluten free for 4 weeks if you have certain ongoing medical issues and see if you feel better.  Search "gluten sensitivity" and you'll find all the conditions they're linking it with.

B-12 deficiency can also resemble MS symptoms, so if you haven't already had that checked, it might be worth it.  And I believe pretty much everyone should have Vitamin D levels checked.
Poeple have opinions all over the map about healthy diets for MS.  Basically, if it is healthy for life, it is healthy for MS.  

As for supplements:  The biggie is Vitamin D.   A deficiency in Vit D has been linked to increased risk of MS.  There is soft evidence that mega-dose therapy under the guidance of a doctor - might be protective with the inflammatory phase of MS (new hyperintense T2 lesions).  Your level should be 35 at minimum and many doctors shoot for over 55.  Have a level done before any significant supplementation.

There is good research showing the the max dose that a normal person can take without fear of toxity is or monitoring is 10,000 IU per day.  For instance I take 8,000 IU per day and my level is only inching upward.  More than 10,000 IU should be guided by a professional.

Quix
Thank you for your comments.  I have done a bit a reading (trying not to do too much though) and wondered about food and suppliments.
It's just so hard waiting to find out what's wrong that I want to feel like I have some control of something.  Eating really well, walking, reducing stress (had a massage today!) are what's in my control.  The stress of all this is overwhelming so much so I feel as if I am drowing.  I wake up frequently at night and just can't get back to sleep and sometimes I feel as if I am going to hyerventilate.  My walks are fantastic and I have a place midway where I just stop, sit down on a bench and cry.  I am doing what I can to think positively and just get on with things until a diagnosis is finally found.
Reading this forum is fantastic.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is making a huge difference.
When I was in limbo I cut out all junk food and started walking. It made me feel better in control. Now I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I eat stuff I never would have eaten like kale and other greens. It may not help my MS but my over all health is top notch. My PCP says I look like I am 30 and I am 47. I also feel better. I do yoga and now I started horse back riding again after ten years. My vitamin D is high with out supplements from Diet.

Also I feel as I lose more control of my body I want to have as few extra pounds as possible. I have lost 51/2 inches from my waist and 25 pounds so far in two years. I still have 20 pounds to go.

I was taking all kinds of supplements but my MS Specialists said to cut them out. One said yes to D the other only if you are low which I am not.

Alex
Interested in what you MS specialist said.  I take multivitamin and calcium. Sometimes fish oils.  Why did the specialist say stop all other supplements?

Julie