Multiple Sclerosis Community
distractions?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

distractions?

Do any of you have problems concentrating? It can be a symptom of MS, and I've noticed that it has started happening to me in the last year. It is really compromising my work at my job.  My specific problem is that any activity around me makes me unable to concentrate. I have a desk job and sit in a cube and any kind of noise--even if someone is just walking by--makes me unable to concentrate.   I don't know much about ADD, but maybe it is something similar to that?

I am seriously afraid I'm going to loose my job. They judge our performance on how many reports we write per month and how long it takes to do each of them.  My review wasn't very good this year because I'm not writing enough reports each month.

If you have this problem, is there anything you have done to make it better?

Thanks,
Jean

P.S.  I tried to search the forum for ADD, but since it is also a word, it didn't work well   =)

My concentration has definitely suffered since my last relapse.  Is it possible for you to listen to music through earphones?  I have to answer the phones so I can't. I totally understand how someone just slightly interupting you can make you lose your train of thought!  That was the point I had to tell my coworkers I had MS.  Becareful though because depending on your job, that could backfire!

I have a crossword puzzle app. on my eReader that will give me hints so I don't get overly frustrated that I play and over the last week I've really started to notice a difference in my concentration levels.  

Good luck!!
Chris
lordy yes, I have!  It appears to slowly be getting worse.  I find myself having to struggle to follow conversations.  I have to either slow down reading paperbacks or read them twice.  I've gone to audio books and talking books (available free thru library for the blind for those with disabilities) and sometimes I even have to listen to those twice!  But it eliminates the constant "fog" from reading printed words.
Yes, I also have problems with concentration. My MS neuro told me that my brain cannot handle a lot of sensory input before I become totally distracted and sometimes confused.

It is a symptom of MS. The idea about head phones is what I was going to suggest. If not headphones, perhaps those soft earplugs, like they give you when you have an MRI.

I hope you can find a way to get around the distraction issue.

Does your employer know yo have MS? If  so, you could ask for an accommodation and have your cube moved to a less noisy and less distracting area. Just a thought.

Ren