Multiple Sclerosis Community
dizziness

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

dizziness

Can ms dizziness occur 24/7

I have 24/7 dizziness and head pressure and ear pressure.

I feel like I'm on a plane all the time and my ears are blocked.

It does get worse to turn head or look up or down.

Thanks again,

Melissa
Hey!!! I have missed you. I have sent you a bunch of email to gmail. Anyhow I dunno about your dizziness or pressure but wanted to just say I am sorry you are having such a rough time.

Hope you get better soon!

Kathey
I'm still undx, so I can't say if it's an MS issue or not, but my dizziness usually goes away when I lay down, close my eyes, and go to sleep.  Often, i wake up with no sense of dizziness at all -- until I move.  It's still not rare to get up, go into the next room, and suddenly realize I should've brought my cane.

Combining the head and ear pressure, though, it would seem plausible that there's perhaps something other than MS at work in your cranial cavities, so if it were me, I'd get it checked out.
Thanks for posting back, I do know I have to get it checked out, but with all my other symptons and they are all ms ones I'm too afraid too, I don't want the dr to tell me my ears are fine.............

I have read also that if you lie still and the dizziness goes away then its probably not ms related, if the dizziness remains whilst having a still head it probably is.

Melissa
My dizziness certainly doesn't go away if i am sitting still, only once I am asleep.  I can lay in bed with my eyes open and still feel the bed tilting at odd angles, or twirling around on one leg.  It is often at its worst while I am sitting at a drafting table at work, doing nothing but reading house plans.  During such times I often feel as if the floor just dropped out from beneath me, and my brain and the pit of my stomach followed more quickly than the rest of my body.  Of course, this probably doesn't count as "having a still head" because my head tends to rock or shake when I'm in such positions.

It sounds like we don't need to tell you why it's not a good idea to not get it checked out.
I have not been diagnosed, but my vertigo/dizziness is also worse when sitting down or standing still. Basically what PastorDan has stated here, I lie in bed at night and it feels like the bed is tilting or twirling...it's very ODD!! I am a nursing student, and have 2-3 hour classes, and that is when it's at its WORSE!! Sitting down in class is terrible...actually the more I am moving, the better I feel...odd as that sounds! It really ONLY goes away when I am sleeping, that's when I NEVER feel it. I would definitely get checked, but if you have a neuro. who is as bad as mine, get a new one..that's what I'm in the process of doing!!  Keep us posted!

I am dizzy 24/7 and have been  for 6 yrs, since my first episode of vertigo and ended up in ER.  I don't diagnose it anymore, it seems to be part of my life now.  My balance is bad and I fall a lot.  It is not as bad as vertigo, it is just there, never goes away.

And I am dx'd with MS....

i really am so sorry any of us have to go thru this, its so hard to live with.  Just have to keep a positive attitude.

meg
Absolutely it is possible to have the vestibular system so whacked out that you feel dizzy, unsteady, whirling, nauseated all of your waking moments.

Many things can cause this.  MS is only one of them.  It can be from a problem in the inner ear (which means it would not be from MS) or from problems with the 8th Cranial Nerve, the brainstem or the brain (in which case it "could" be from MS.

Best place on the internet to read about this is the VEstibular Disorder Association (VEDA) website.

vestibular.org

I really recommend that you go there.  How how have you been dizzy?  If it is more than a couple of weeks, then you need to see a vestibular specialist, called a neuro-otologist.  There is a place on the VEDA website that lists some docs that are offered that neuro-otology is their specialty.

Quix
Note that the VEDA Web site, while very helpful, only lists doctors (and other professionals) who have paid dues to VEDA (unless that policy has changed recently). So these are not necessarily complete lists of all the neuro-otologists in a particular area--although usually most of them will be on there.

Other sites that list doctors who specialize in dizziness are the American Neurotology Society and Dr. Michael Robb's site (google "Robb otoneurologist" and you'll find it).

Nancy