Multiple Sclerosis Community
dizzy or vertigo how do you know?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

dizzy or vertigo how do you know?

What is the difference between being dizzy and vertigo?

I went to bed early last night because when my eyes were open the room was not holding still.  

I went to bed closed my eyes and fell asleep.  

I do not feel like I am unstable or about to fall but the room seems a bit wiggly.  

Thanks,
LA
It sounds like vertigo to me . Vertigo is the sensation you get that the room is spinning around you and you are still. I have had trouble with this off and on.

I hope you are doing better today. If not, call your neuro sometimes the meds they give you for dizziness can help the vertigo.

Hang in there (and hang on)
Yeah! I really did feel like I needed to hang on last night!  I have had this happen before.  This time was pretty mild.  

There have been  a couple other occasions I really should have went to the ER because I wondered if I was having a stroke.  But I didn't.

If that is what vertigo is then that is what I am dealing with right now.  

LA
Sounds like vertigo to me. Vertigo is when you feel like the world is moving around you (and your staying still). Dizziness is where you feel like you're spinning around.

A good example of vertigo is when you drink too much, when you go to bed, and you get the "bed spins" (laying in bed and feel like the world won't stop spinning). I get it often. It sucks!

Have you started any new meds, or changed the dosage of any meds your on?

Christine
(un-dx)
I have not started any new medications lately.  I have had vertigo in the past and have never been able to figure out what was going on.  At least I have a name for my "dizzy" spells now.

I have had those spinning bed episodes and I don't even drink!  Not fun.  I do have an MS dx so maybe something is going on there.  It is better today.  I can sit up and the room is still. That is good!

Thanks!

LA
This topic makes my head spin. lol

Seriously, when I had my vertigo spell on 12/24, The Day The Journey Began, I was asked to describe what I was going through. Was the room spinning or was I spinning? I was the one spinning.

So I go to see the neuro a few weeks later and he phrased the question similar to what I see here: "is it like when you were drunk in high school and you had to put your foot on the floor to keep the bed from spinning?" NO...... very different than being intoxicated.

His report used the phrase "true vertigo".

Then again, he was the first neuro who was so very pleasant and nice and condescending to me that I won't go back to him, so do I believe his writeup?

Suzanne
So, when I lay in bed, and open my eyes, and the room is spinning, that is Vertigo?  

When my eyes are closed I do not have the sense that anything is spinning.  

I have never drank or been drunk so I do not have that to compare this to.

LA
I googled true vertigo and it defines the difference between vertigo and dizziness.

Mr. Funny Dr. then asked if my dizziness was like when I met my husband? (sighhh) NO.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Suzanne
OK, let me add to the confusion.....LOL

I don't believe that I either have dizziness or vertigo, but I walk like a drunk! (I don't drink at all)

I usually stumble into things, (walls, doors, etc...) and have a feeling like I'm being pulled to one side....

Tammy