Multiple Sclerosis Community
dizzy spells

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

dizzy spells

i've been having these dizzy headache spells for a few months now. had an mri and it showed 20-30 brain lesions. doc said it looks like ms. just had the baer/ver, labs and eeg done last week. they started me on topamax about a month ago. the dizzy spells haven't been getting any better. i just wanted to throw it out there see if any of ya'll get them and have any ideas. just chilling waiting on results. glad i found the site :)
Welcome to the forum

Topamax is used for migraine and seizure prevention.  It can also be used to treat disorders like trigeminal neuralgia.  By itself, it can cause dizziness in some people. Depending where your lesions are and the results of your BAER, cerebellar lesions can directly cause dizziness and vertigo.

Since your dizzyness has not improved on Topamax, that leads me to think that you are not suffering from some form of migraine disease.  You should probably consider letting your doctor know that you are still dizzy and that the Topamax seems to be having no effect on your symptoms after 30 days.

Bob
All this still so weird. Thanks for all the info.  The techs said my results should be in this week. So maybe they'll no more and can give me better meds. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again :)

..and welcome to our forum... the symptom that got some attention was vertigo actually.  It was a huge attack that put me in bed for quite some time, then it slowly got better but left me dizzy and I have been dizzy foor years now.  

I have found no answers for it but I just think it is from some damage to the brain...

keep us posted...

meg
We're glad you found us, too.  I am going out on a limb and assuming that the dizziness is what sent you to the doctor and the subsequent tests, right?

There are so many reasons for dizziness, including the locaiton of lesions.  Are you having vertigo, too?  There is a difference between the two.

The fact that you identify the dizziness with a headache is a bit different than what we usually hear around here.  You should ask to be evaluated - this may be a dizziness you don't have to live with.  

There is a website I really like about dizziness - there are lots of embedded videos there to help explain the concepts.  Especially BPPV, which is a fairly common cause of dizziness.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com

good luck with getting answers
Lulu
When the dizziness had me running into walls I thought I needed to have something done. Still shocked to see the report with 20-30 lesions on it. That just seems like so many.  The headaches aren't really bad and only in the front. I guess I;m just so use to them now. I just go with the flow everyday. I have a 2 1/2 year old lil guy and work full time. Not alot of time to think about pain but now I'm just waiting for the call for more results and to see if and when I'm having the spinal tap done. It's nice reading all the stories on this site and I found the MS walk in my area in March that my fam and friends are doing with me. So all in all still have a positive outlook :)

with the vertigo is that something that comes and goes