Multiple Sclerosis Community
emg & nerve conduction tests
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

emg & nerve conduction tests

can an emg or nerve conduction trst be faked or altered?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi, Rhonda. If you mean can the patient consciously change the outcome, the answer is a loud and clear NO.

ess
Blank
1142155_tn?1261770432
Rhonda, to add to what essdipity said, my orthopaedic surgeon performed two nerve conduction tests on me.  Beyond confirming that I have carpal tunnel, that something was "going on weird" with my left foot, but he didn't know what, and telling me that I possess perhaps the highest tolerance for pain he's ever witnessed in a patient, he also told me that EMG tests do not confirm or deny MS.  They provide some "indications" that will support an MS diagnosis sometimes (like the weird thing going on with my left foot), but alone, they are not a test for MS itself.  I trust his opinion since he's been doing EMG tests for 30+ years and has had more than one patient who was diagnosed with MS.  Don't know if that clears up any analysis you were making, but that's just my experience with one doctor and two EMG tests.  Hope it helps.  jo
Blank
333672_tn?1273796389
Rhonda: Like Ess, said, I don't think the patient can affect the outcome and it's supposed to be a fairly objective test. That said, I've had three and only the middle one was abnormal, which I think has to have been an error and I suspect part of it is that the person doing the test tried too hard.

Adnvwsti: the EMG/NCS tests only look at the peripheral nervous system and, in terms of an MS dx, are only helpful in ruling out a peripheral nerve problem. MS is a problem of the central nervous system so if you have MS, nothing positive would show up on the EMG/NCS unless you had a peripheral nervous system problem in addition to MS.

sho
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank