Multiple Sclerosis Community
facial numbness

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

facial numbness

I have MS and for the past 3 weeks the left side of my face is numb.  It is a perfect line down thecenter.  Includes my teeth, tongue and scalp.  I still have feeling, it just feels like i have been shot up with novacaine.  Neuro says it is not Bells palsey or a stroke.  Anyone else have this?
There are many people here who have head and facial problems with their MS - usually it shows up as painful trigeminal neuralgia.  I hope one of them see your quesiton and can help with a good explanation.
-Laura
Yes Ive had facial numbness on one side of my face that spread to my ear and down my neck, and scalp as well.  It was one symptoms of the multifocal attack that led to my dx.  I was treated with IVSM, it eventually remitted and hasn't returned in years.  That novocaine feeling is disconcerting.  Are you being treated for a relapse?
Doublevision- my neuro doesnt think it is a relapse.  I am getting IVSM q 30 days for just one day.  I have had 1 infusion since this but it did not help.  How long did yours last?  
I was treated with 1g IVSM per day for five days for that attack.  I don't recall how long the facial numbness took to remit, maybe several weeks?  I had so much going on at that time especially my vision impairment so the numbness doesn't stand out in my mind so much.  I remember though how annoying and uncomfortable it was.  Hopefully yours remits soon.  

Why does your neuro not think it's a relapse?  Is there some other particular reason that is more likely the cause?
I had that back in 2004 or 2005. Like you, it was as though there was a line drawn down the middle of my face, and I had feeling on one side but no feeling on the other. This was before my diagnosis and I had no idea it had anything to do with a chronic problem at the time. In fact, since I was young and it wasn't stopping me from functioning in any way, I pretty much ignored it until it went away a few weeks later.

If it happened to me again, I would report it to my neuro so that he was aware of the relapse, but I wouldn't request steroids unless it started to get in the way of my functioning or was accompanied by other disabling symptoms such as the vision loss DV mentioned above.

The sensation in our face runs through the trigeminal nerve (one of our cranial nerves), which is a nerve that MS seems to like to target every once in a while. I'm curious as to why your neuro wouldn't suspect a relapse, too. I'm also curious as to why your neuro would give you steroids if it's "not a relapse".  At any rate, I hope it passes for you soon and the relapse doesn't get any worse.

Best,
Jane
I am not sure why he doesn't think it is a relapse?  I take IVSM 1 gram q 30 days because i have had optic neuritis twice and he thinks that will help keep it away?  I am seeing a specialist that come in from Denver next week so i am going to run it by him.