Multiple Sclerosis Community
flu shot reaction

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

flu shot reaction

I got my annual flu shot yesterday and I was a mess afterward. I could hardly move my arm without intense pain and I felt so badly that I had to leave work. I went home and slept until I had to get up for my hair appt. (which I could not miss!) I felt so badly, though, that I made my husband drive me there. Has anyone else had this type of reaction? I get a flu shot every year and thugh I usually feel kind of yucky afterward, it has never been like this.
I have heard of others feeling bad afterwards, I haven't had my shot yet and not sure if I'll take one...

hope you feel better soon, let you Dr know how you are too

take care
wobbly
dx
I believe the nurse might have hit a small blood vessel when she gave you the shot in your arm muscle.  She is suppose to pull back when the needle goes in, to make sure that there is no blood in the syringe, before she injects.

This is just a guess, but sounds like what may have happened.  You might want to take some OTC pain relievers, in hopes that you might feel alittle better; for the next 24-48 hours.

As always, I agree with what Wobbly says...(I love you Wobble girl, you know that) and let your doctor know what kind of reaction you had to the injection.

We know that they do not use "live" viruses to make the flu vaccines, so that isn't causing any reaction.  The deal with the "dead" virus is for your body to make antibodies against this invader, should you be exposed to the flu virus in the months to come.  People do not seem to have more than a very sore and hot upper arm for a couple of days.  I always notice that it hurts to sleep on that side for a couple of days.  That's not from the flu shot, persay, just from where they jab the muscle, which by the way is a part of the arm where it is rich in nerve fibers.

Hope you feel better soon, sweetheart.  You did right by getting your shot though.  Especially this year, when they predict that this could be a bad flu season.  Now Wobbly dear, be a good girl and do what our precious Bambi did....GO GET YOUR FLU SHOT.  Don't make this 'Earth Mother' come out where you live and put you on restriction in your bedroom with no tv.  You hear?

Feel better, Bambi.  Big comforting Hugs..Gentle Hugs
Heather

Sometimes known as Earth Mother to some and B**ch to others.  Especially a choice few family members of the man I divorced after 35 years of marriage......LOL
hahaha... I hate needles...and never have had a flu shot before, but now my Dr wants to give me one...I'm staying away from him...hehehe

I'm a chicken..

love yah
wobbly
dx
I agree with everything they said.

To Heather, your sign off was a blast...laughing loudly.  Been there done that.  thanks

terry
Get your shot...a day of discomfort is better than a week of flu! Thanks. Just sitting here at my desk at work shedding a few tears over how bad I feel, you guys made me smile again...that's the best medicine of all!
Hi There,

This might be totally off base but i want the flu, ok i know i'm odd but i was in a really bad way, couldnt stand let alone walk, words didnt even come out of my mouth, i was bad for months and then my youngest shared his flu with me. I started getting better, all the spasticity, spasm etc etc started reducing and the fatigue changed from flattening to managable, i felt stronger even though my nose ran, coughing phlem, soar throat etc.

I always have a viral infection that turns into one of my (big) episodes when i start getting over the viral symptoms, i think my system cant tell the difference between a real invader and whats not, it greedily starts attacking my brain when the real invader is gone. If there is something 'real' for my system to be attacking it leaves my brain alone and i feel great, whilst everyone else is feeling weak with flu. I would trade flu symptoms everyday if i never again had to experience what i've just been through, its been almost 5 weeks of flu now and i really dont want to think about what will happen when it ends. That nose dive into an episode always happens and its getting worse every year so i'm not getting the flu shot this year or any other if the flu keeps me walking and talking.

See i told you i was odd, to flu or not to flu that is the question!

Cheers.........JJ