Multiple Sclerosis Community
foot spasms ! Funny feet

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

foot spasms ! Funny feet

Oh well since your all such nic epeople on here Does anyone else have spasms in their feet which lock their toes in a claw like position ? God how do I explain this one ! The physio said shes not seen anything like that before to which I replied and ?????
Oh my, do we!!!! There are several of us around who have dreadful spasms, foot and otherwise. My feet do the claw thing every day, even when I'm feeling well. My toes can even lock in different directions - impressive, huh? lol

Penn
hurray sorry !!!!!!!!! mine do that every day and both ways lol your the first person Ive ever spoken to who has hrmm as the drs keep telling me peculiar feet !  Have you got a dx  ? I can't believe someone else has got feet like mine sorry to be so overjoyed !!!!!!!!
no Dx yet. I'm off to Cleveland Clinic on Wednesday - hope for some progress there.

No offense taken. It is always such a relief to know you're not the only one, and therefore hopefully not just off your nut - I know the feeling.

Penn
Hmm the amount of times ive thought I was crackers is not real Know what your talking about there honestly !!!  There again Ive thought to myself hmm what do i gain by making my feet look unreal !!! Not alor is there !  I really hope you get some answers is that the mayo clinic by the way ?
Lordy, Lordy, yes.  I can't believe your doc hasn't heard of this complaint before.  The foot starts cramping and bends in a deformed shape and then your toes do things you didn't know they could do.  OUCH!!!

Carol
I spent 5 weeks in hospital and thats all they kept saying plus i was jumping up and down like a flaming kangeroo ! All they kept asking was " Have you got any mental health problems" My feet have been like this from when I had the first episode 3 yrs ago ! My neuro knows that cos its the same person I actually thought I was abnormal or something!!!
I know exactly what you mean. That's the first thing that happened to me. My foot hurt real bad for a while then got stiff. Everytime I point my foot it cramps. If I point my big toe it locks into place with excruciating pain in my foot. It slowly comes back up like click...click...click. My big toe is pointed up. But good news is it's getting better and doesn't lock up anymore. Only took 2 years, woohoo.
I have been having issues with my left foot and toes for about 6 weeks... locked in place... can't move the little buggers.. sometimes i yell at them... come on move..once & awhile my great toe can move slightly... also there is a great seperation from the great toe to the toe #2.... it looks like i am trying to do the mr. spock sign for hello with my toes... do you get the picture?? Also, i am not walking well..my balance has been bad but now i am heel walking & limping.. my neuro did another emg/ncv & was very concerned... sending me for PT & spinal mri this week... she thinks it is foot drop... i also have numbness and weakness big time in the leg & foot... spasms alot > now some jerking go on... what a sight i am... is this what you have going on too??

Take care.
God bless,
Frann
I didnt know anyone else got this thank god I,m not unique ! Sounds awful I know but its aright pain literally Did yours just go right itself mine have been the same seems like forever !!
Sorry I posted same time as you yes all of those symptoms and a few more besides ! Weird or what !!!
We seem to be talking on 2 or 3 different threads at the same time - who says we can't multi-task anymore?!  You asked re Mayo Clinic earlier. I am going to the Cleveland Clinic - similar, but MUCH closer to my home near Pittsburgh. I Googled it when my doc mentioned it (my PCP teases me about not needing to explain things coz he knows I'll just go home and Google it anyway); it's like the #3 hospital in the US from the articles I found. I am seeing a neuromuscular specialist who got good reviews from a fellow forum-dweller who sees her as well.

Penn
lolol getting confused myself now doesn't take a lot anyway sometimes Thats good that your seeing someone who knows their stuff Always better on apersonal recommendation ! Sounds like your on the ball penn anyway looking everything up. You dont get too know anything in the uk unless you apply for records and you have to pay for them . Hope your appointment comes up with something constructive which points you in the right direction Hmm rephrase that cos of the feet !!.
Well, now you know you are not alone!  I'll add to the list. I have muscle spasms everywhere, and boy does it hurt.

My toes have a life of their own. Seems like every toe goes in a different direction.  Last year I was working outside in the heat and when I layed down that night to go to sleep, both feet including my toes started to curl back toward my shins.  I couldn't move or get out of bed, thought I would scream, lasted for awhile.  I finally managed to get out of bed and walk around until they finally stopped.  Never could go back to bed cause everytime I tried I would have the same thing happen.  Does it help when you stand up and walk around?  Sometimes it works for me but most of the time nothing helps.

I was actually laying in bed last night watching my toes do weird dances and contortions.  Carol and I can just start a dance troupe with our toes!  I think I will make each toe a little dress just to spice it up a little!  

Also know, ncowleyc, how it hurts when your toes lock up.  Really uncomfortable, huh? Sometimes I can get them to bend if I massage them for awhile

I also have the same problem with my fingers, the right hand is the worse.  I am a real comic act when I try to cut up veggies or peel potatoes.  My fingers will just lock straight and will not work at all.

Hope you feel better and things quit cramping up on you.  It's a real pain....................

God Bless
Doni
hi doni hmm I can't believe so many people have the same problem ..... No mine havent gone in three years when i stand up they do the same when I try to walk they do the same .... they mad me othoses and special boots hmm frankenstein ones great !!!!!! to try and keep them in one position and yep it is apain literally !!!!!!! If there spasm up i can push them down and then they curl under and stay there . My drs have always told me theyve never seen anyone with feet like mine. This board and the answers from everyone proves their wrong thanks doni and everyone else responses appreciated xx chris
crystaly I think mine got better because my foot is numb. We can only hope yours goes numb too, lol. The cramp that was in my foot is now in my calf. Maybe the two oppose forces worked it out. Still some cramping but not as painful. Good luck on yours. Take lots of soothing foot baths.
God you can,t win can you ! Hope your clf gets better too I will try the foot baths Taa xx
Soooooo glad to know I am not the only one.  My  right foot cranps all day long and the left cramps in a babinski posture and is very painful...  Also can happen with pointing of my toes or position changes while I am sleeping or rolling over.  How could my neuro dismiss that?    -m
Eversince I was a kid, my toes would "lock" in a deformed position.  So painful.  And it happens at anytime, when I'm sitting, standing, walking, in bed.  Don't know what it is, it just comes and goes.  My mom used to have her toes lock all the time.  I said, thanks mom.
All this time I've thinking that I could make it big on the "Tonight Show" with my toes that move by themselves and contort in extremely painful spasms, and now I find that my toes are not so "special" after all!
mr wiggles

Now you know why I call myself mr wiggles.

All

I 've had this most of my life , so does my Mother . I thought it was normal !! ??  Its not ??  It used to just be occasionally .  Last few weeks many times a day . Painful and leaves residual pain .  

Jo
I have had this symptom for years, especially in the heat.
    I found a small dose of Valium--2.5 mgs 2 X a day-- pretty much puts an end to it.
    Dancing Feet

Mine are doing the same exact thing!!!!!!!!!!! I cant sleep...i jump up outta bed when I feel them coming on.......Im physically exhausted!! Havent slept in nites.....ive tried water.....potassium , magnesium.......EVERYTHING....even heard that drinking pickle juice after chewing tums would help!!! Its horrible...sometimes when they are bad in my feet...they go up my legs and lock them up!! Glad to hear Im not alone!!
Ok I have a terrible time with cramps... didn't think it was MS related!  Ok so my sister told me "drink pickle juice"  I thought this is weird.  The other day I got a cramp that wouldn't release so I ate 2 pickles and a gulp of juice... it released immediately and didn't come back.  Try it!!!!
Debbie
~Live as if all your dreams came true~
I have read all the comments from all that have joined you.   I am a little puzzled as all of you seem to have left leg problems.  I am suffering right leg problems from the groin down to the knee, then the calf muscle, then the toes actually twisting when the spasms happen.    I was at the supermarket yesterday & almost collapsed due to the pain in the groin & my foot.    Sat down for a while, went back to the car & when I went to drive my foot went into cramp/spasm.  Seeing doctor in 2 days, but am guessing I will get same response as I have been reading.  Will let you all know if I get any action, or, just the same comments.  Regards,  Carol
Carol,
I have right sided weakness from MS.  I do have bilateral issues sometimes but at visitis and during tests neuro say right sided weakness :)
Debbie
I've had these contortions for years. Jumping out of bed and walking around a while used to help, but then nothing could ease the pain. I began having the spasms and contortions every night and even during the day. In desperation, I tried compression stockings. Surprisingly they seem to help.  Right after I pull them on the spasm begins to ease up, and eventually ends.
Hi Corky - Welcome to our little group.

This thread was last updated over a year ago. SOme of the original posters may no longer be here. Why not Post a Question and tell us a little more about what's going on with your toes etc...

Kyle