Multiple Sclerosis Community
"frozen" muscle

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

"frozen" muscle

Craig was in physical therapy tonight and the therapist told him that one of his muscles is "frozen".  It is the muscle behind the ankle, so that he cannot make his toes point to the ceiling.

Has anyone here had a totally spastic muscle that is referred to as "frozen"?  The therapist said he can stretch most of the leg muscles, but the one behind the foot is so hard that it feels like bone.

Thanks,
Elaine
I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to give you both my support. I really help your visit to Dr. M will finally give you some answers, and get Craig started on some treatment. Just trying to unwind from work so I can get to bed. I have to be up in 6 hours, and on my way to Dr. M tomorrow. Will report on this visit as soon as I can. Elaine, did you get the baby-sitting worked out so you can come out with Craig? I hope so, I'm sure he appreciates all of your support.Hope Craig can get some relief from this soon.Maggie
What a tough battle you both have been facing.

Hope you can get some answers and treatmetn soon.

If this muslce is really frozen it must be very uncomfortable.  I don't know, but maybe something like botox might help with the spasticity and improve function.

How's all the PT stuff going.

Hugs

Sally
Hi Honey, a frozen muscle is a very hard one to take care of.  I would definately see if Craig can get an injection of Kenalog, it works pretty well in the case of frozen muscles.  You two have been through the ringer.  I have also heard the botox shots work good.  I haven't been on in awhile, I'm sorry.  Please keep me posted.

Love,

Ada
Depending on what the PT meant . . . . could mean that Craig has a contracture of his ankle plantar flexors -- biggest ones being the gastrocnemius and the soleus.  They are the ones that make your calves shapely.  Anyway, when the muscles tighten because of spacticity (increased muscle tone that is velocity dependent) or due to muscle spasm over time, things can begin to tighten down and stay locked in a position that prevents movement in a particular direction.  Dorsiflexion (bringing the toes up) is most always limited in a person with neurological problems.

Have you ever heard of a frozen shoulder?  It is otherwise known as adhesive capsulitis.  The shoulder has a balloon around it that contains fluid similar to oil.  It lubricates the joint and the inside of the balloon.  If someone doesn't move the shoulder through full range on a daily basis (say, due to injury or surgery), the inside of the capsule doesn't get lubricated and then starts to stick together.  Once the capsule starts sticking together, it becomes an actual structural limitation and prevents full ROM (range of motion).

Neuro problems are similar.  Craig has hypertonicity (increased muscle tension) that favors the muscles that point the toes down like a ballerina (plantar flexors).  Although this starts as a neuro restriction in ROM, over time, it becomes an actual structural restriction due to lack of movement.

Things like botox injections are beneficial in decreasing the neuro input but will not change the structural restriction if it is there -- this will require just good old-fashioned stretching at home and in PT.  Craig should have a home program; ask for one if he doesn't.
I am so glad that Craig is in physical therapy.  I shudder to think how he would be without it.

I have to agree with Ada.  The shot in the muscle, so they can try to get it loosened up might be a good thing to try.  Anything is worth a try to get that muscle to unlock.

As always, I'll be praying for you both.

Heather

Thanks everyone for your support.  We will keep you up to date!

Elaine