Multiple Sclerosis Community
heavy

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

heavy

Something I wonder about is if I am showing signs of my muscles begining to not work.  It seem the muscles in my limbs and butt each feel heavy.  Heavy in a way that they do not move as quickly as I would like.  But, also in that they feel hard or as if I am flexing them.  Yet when I touch them I the do not feel hard.

Some feed back on this would be appreciated .
Hi answer your other post too.

I get heavy like lead limbs and when i tell my right leg to do something is does not do it.

I have been having simular problems since May 2007 my first sx started with eye pain and balance issues.

How long have you been ill? and how often does this happen?

sam
this heavy/hard feeling muscle issue is pretty much daily.  some days it does surface.  I is not tied to how much I use the muscles though.  If I overuse a muscle it can be a problem.  But, normally most all muscle tend to suffer with this problem at the same time even after along nap or rest period.
so sorry what your going through i am having a bad time since coming back from pain clinic today i am so fatiuged in my muscles even though i went in a wheelchair and no rest seems to fix that though it does have its moments i can potter around house its only when i go out that it gets very bad or when having a flare.

Have you had testing done?

sam
nothing more than my neuro exam and a couple visits to a therapy clinic.  The heaviness i something happening since then, in the last 4 months.
I was hoping to get more feedback on this.
I would have answered if I had thought I had anything to say....and there isn't much I don't have an opinion about...lol.  I deal with the heaviness and stiffness.  a few weeks ago I went to PT and told my therapist that I 500 lb elephant was walking on my legs.  It comes and goes with me.  I went to Walmart with my mom last week and I thought I would not make it back to the car.  Also when my legs or muscles feel tight they usually are.

See I didn't have anything of any benefit to say other than you are not alone.

terry
seemed benificial to me.  I learned something and now a comparison.
Thank you and I might add I have the same issues with my arms :(
I also have the heaviness and hardness in my right leg.  It always feels as though someone gave me some cement boots, but forgot to drop me in the river.  However, my leg gets heavier the more I use it.  there clearly is some component of muscle fatigue there for me.  In MS, they have found that motor nerve conduction in demyelinated fibers is susceptible to exhaustion, rate-dependent block and conduction block with increased temperature.

For the people reading that don't understand these terms:

If the nerve signalling a muscle to contract (a motor nerve) is damaged by a demyelination like in MS, then that muscle is easy to exhaust.

The faster you try to fire a damaged motor nerve, the slower it begins to carry the signal to the point of being unable to transmit a signal at all to the muscle.

With increased temperature - as you might get with exercise - a demyelinated motor nerve may jsut shut down (completely block the signal).

In addition to that is the increased work of the muscles that do work trying to make up for the weaken, affected muscle.

People might read the Health Page called "Fatigue in People with MS."  Much of what we deal with is the heaviness that Micheal speaks of.

Quix
I am having problems with my back aching.  I had come to realize I was exhausting my back , thigh , and butt muscles trying to compensate for the weakness in my hips and my difficulty with my balance.  To say the least it hurts and it s**cks.