Multiple Sclerosis Community
help with MRI results

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

help with MRI results

Hi I am new here and been looking around this very informative site

I wonder if anyone can help me with reading my MRI report

My GP suspected MS due to my range of symptoms  I have just recieved my MRI results can anyone help me understand them.its says there are a couple of solitary nonspecific foci of T2 and FLAIR hyperintensity within the subcortical white matter in the frontal lobes.There is loss of the normal cervical lordosis.in addition there is a posterior disc/osteophyte bar at the C5/C6 level with indentation of the theca but no compromise of the cord or exiting nerve roots

I do not have a folow up appointment untill next year any help in understanding this would be very helpful

Many thanks

Ruth
I have to caution you about trying to interpret your MRI (or any technical medical report) or having amateurs like us try to interpret it. You could end up with a false sense of security, or you could end up panicking about what is really inconsequential.

I am stunned that you would not have a follow-up appointment for at least two months. I hope that is indicative of a fairly mild case of whatever you have. If the doctor isn't available for two months, seems like it would make more sense to have the MRI done closer to the appointment. Regardless, if you anticipate an MS diagnosis, no better time than now to study the available disease-modifying drugs so you're ready to start one once that diagnosis comes; the sooner you attack the disease the better. You also might want to modify your diet and exercise, things that would help fight MS but also improve your health in general and fight whatever else you might have.

Here is a link to info about treatments; the website has many other pages with good information.
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/treatments/index.aspx
Hi and thanks for your reply..I was referred to NHNN in london .Where I was diagnosed with POTS and Hypermobility syndrome.However while I was there they decided to refer me for MRI due to balance problems and other symptoms that did not fit with POTS.My follow up appointment was already made before test.The secretary then phoned me to say that they are faxing MRI report to GP and i am now down for an appoinment asap back in London.My GP wasnt much help to be honest  i just asked for a copy of MRI report His response was they are dealing with it

Thanks for responding
Ruth
Hi Ruth,

I have to agree with the possible issues of lay people reading reports but I understand the curiosity and frustration of waiting for answers so for what its worth heres what i can work out, which maybe nothing....

There isn't much going on with your brain if its only mentioning 2 lesions, not outside the norm. Subcortical isnt 1 of the 4 MS locations from the Mcdonald Criteria, lesions in the subcortical area I think are associated with Migraine but i'm not sure if thats the only condition.

The spinal may have the biggest 'possible' clues, "loss of the normal cervical lordosis" means the natural curviture of your neck is off, straight rather than curved. You also seem to have some disc issues at C5/C6 level which may or maynot be the problem because it additionally mentions "no compromise of the cord or exiting nerve roots" which to me is saying its not servere or the obvious problem.

Sorry but thats all i can work out, if that enough to find whats the causation i couldn't say, i doubt its enough.

Cheers.........JJ