Multiple Sclerosis Community
hyper-sensitive skin and nerve pain??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

hyper-sensitive skin and nerve pain??

Hi All

I've been lucky this last yr and the pain has not been as bad as last and is more muscular pain then nerve. I have been having a problem with a patch of numbness on my left side buttock/hip area the size of a dinner plate i posted about it here a few days ago mentioned it to the neuro before i got discharged from him he was uninterested, anyway went to hydrotherapy yesterday and mentioned it to the physio he said that is not normal and even if it was fibromyalgia i had permnant numbness is not part of the illness he said that would be a problem with L1 or there about if it was a back problem so finshed the session and did start to notice the patch arounsd the edge start to be sore by the time i had reached home i was in agony!! and on and off have stayed that way i now have hypersensitive skin all around the numb patch were i cant even have my clothes touch it, i also have nerve pain all down my left leg in certain areas along with the hyper-sensitive skin that feel like hot pokers being sent into my skin i was in tears last night and resulted to using diazapam i have not needed that type of drug in a long while, it is still painfull this morn but better if i do not walk on it by lower back is suffering too and pinching a little when i walk and causing sciatica type pain but not down the leg just in one spot on the back.

Do you think this is a new sx or a result of the hydro that something was happening before re-the numb patch and the hydro has made it worst or just a case of over doing it maybe?? not sure if i'll bother the dr what can they do waiting to go to the hospital to see a new neuro anyway not like they can speed it up!! how can i get all these odd sensations when my last neuro thinks its nothing more then a pain condition??

Sam
Sorry I don't know the answer to this but I am giving it a bump hoping someone else may have something similar to share.

Pat
x
I do suspect that this increased area of a new type of pain is due to the hydrotherapy.  It sounds like "central pain" which is the worst pain known.  It is where the brain stem (thalamus) stops blocking some of the pain signal and sends the whole nerve pain signal directly into the brain.

I don't know much about treating this, but characteristics of it are a severe burning quality and the inability to tolerate light touch on the area, but solid firm touch is not as bad.

You need a really good pain doc that understands the severity of central pain.  And I do not know anything about treating it.  You have my deepest sympathy for what you are going through.  There is no such thing as "just" a pain condition.

Quix

Thank you so much for replying, it is easing off but as long as i stay still or move slowly which is hard due to my 3 kids are still off on holiday!! i have another session booked for thursday and i just dont know if to go through with it, if i should push past it or avoid it at all cost, i thought by doing hydrotherapy it would increase my muscle strength so i could do the stairs again and get out of a chair without being helped!!  

Do you think the numbness is caused by nerve endings dying due to the signals not getting through or thats just what my brain is telling me and that one day the numbness will stop and i'll have feeling again?? i dont actually mind not having feeling its the pain before it goes numb that is the most unbearable!! but i do worry it nis getting bigger in twomths from thumb size to a dinner plate now. thanks for your advise.

How are you anyway??

sam