Multiple Sclerosis Community
hyperactive reflex

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

hyperactive reflex

I got back from my neuro appt. He has ordered a spinal, thoratic (sp) and cervical mri for next week with an appt the day after to discuss results. He was stating sleep apnea may be the cause until he saw my reflex of my kneecaps and became concerned with the heightened response. Has anyone went through this same thing and what kind of indicator is the reflex?
    I went to a neuro a few months ago bc of leg pain, weakness, pins and needles that kind of thing.
When he checked my reflexes it flipped my shoe off my reflexes were so hyper.  I had an mri of the lumbar spine and they told me i had arthritis all down my back.  I am not sure what my problem is just thought i would tell u my story.
  I had mine checked the other day and I have very little to non, not really sure as to want that means other then it show that some kind of damage to the spinal cord is not responding well I believe on my part

Cowboy
I have a spinal cord lesion and have had for over 12 years.  My knee reflexes are very brisk.  An absent or very slow reflex CAN be caused by compression on a nerve in the lower back.
Hyperactive reflex is one of the signs that led to my dx. of ms last year. Im not saying that is what you have but my neuro explained to me brisk reflexs is a sign of cns damage. at least one of the signs. mine started just in my right knee, after my last neuro appt. he let me know I now have it in my right wrist also. good luck to you and keep us posted please.
april
my neurosurgeon wants me to get a cervical mri because i have hyperactive reflexes and incontinence. i've also have over 24 years of neck pain. he seemed deeply concerned... do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?
Hi Penny, and welcome to the forum!!  So everyone can see your post, would you do your own thread?  Just go the the top of the page where it says post your question.  Let us know what symptoms you're having and for how long.  I know you touched on this a little, but give us some details.

I am undx but will try to give you some ideas about your question.  Has the neuro mentioned MS, or that he is suspicious that your symptoms might be MS?  He could just want to check out your cervical spine for some other problems.

Check out our health pages, just click on the icon in the upper right side of the page.  There is some really great info there and it might even help you to ask us other questions that come to mind.

I look forward to getting to know you better, you've found a great place with really wonderful people.  We're all here to help you when you need us.

Take care,
doni