Multiple Sclerosis Community
hyperreflexia and MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

hyperreflexia and MS

Can you have hyperreflexia of both upper and normal extremities, normal MRI's, normal EP's....but not MS?

It's been suggested that I take iron for a low ferritin level to fix this.

Suzanne
Suzanne,
  Everything I have read about hyperreflexia, hypertonicy and spasticity says it is upper motor neuron dysfunction, coming from the brain in a neurological disease.

I asked on one of your other posts...is it ferritin binding capacity or feritin??

Elaine
I meant to ask about upper and LOWER extremities!!!

What is hypertonicity? My dh said one of my legs bounced went high, then bounced on the way back down. My eyes were shut, so I didn't see this.

I'm sorry, I don't know which one. Just the lab report flagged my ferritin as low (5 on a range of 11-307.)

Is that 307 a typo???

Suzanne
Hypertonicity is more ridgid muscles.  My children with Downs have a condition called hypotonia.  They are VERY flexable.  They can do the splits, get their legs above and even behind their heads!

Do a search on the word and that will help you figure it out. I'd give you a web site but am not sure I can post it.

LA
Well, I admit this is hard for me to process, the understanding of this topic. But I am not flexible and athletic. My dh can put one of his feet near his head (I saw that's why I married him, lol!) One of my daughters has hands that can bend backwards, it seems like she has no bones in them.

But in relation to my reflexes, something sure is jumpy in me! Is that a different concept than muscles? Sorry to be dense.

I don't understand why some websites go through, and others do not.

Suzanne
I have hyperreflexia and MS. My "opinion" is that you would have lesions/demyelination show on your MRI (brain &/or spinal cord) if you had MS. You should see a neurologist if you haven't already.