Multiple Sclerosis Community
itching and MX

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

itching and MX

I have just been reading all the comments about itching and MS ( I was diagnosed in 2004) Had no idea that itching was a problem with MS. I have been itching intensly for about 5 days. But my itching is NOT localized as most of the comments suggest, but it is all over. Have also had raised red spots, but not until I start scratching. Like the scratching produces the red spots (what I think of as hives) Have been to the dr. twice. 1st time steriod shot. 2 days later not any better and dr. prescribed Zyrtec, Vistaril & Ranitidine (all antihistimines) Itching only slightly better. Still driving me nuts!!! No new meds, soaps, det., etc. that I can recall. My question is: does anyone experience the itching all over or just localized? Does anyone ever have a rash like hives? I am wondering if this is MS related or an allergic reaction? I am going to take a cool shower now. That seems to be an idea that works for lots of people.
Tags: Itching
I've never had that type of itching. Did they do blood work? I would if I were u. My mom had intense itching & went to the ER & it turned out her bilirubin levels were high from a blocked Bile duct which caused the itching. Just make sure u cover all ur bases. It's so easy for us to blame everything on MS. Keep us posted.
-Michelle
I started itching in 2 localised places back in January, hmmm not really stopped since, though i do not touch it no matter what, well thats when i'm awake lol. The hardest thing for me to get my head around is the fact that nothings worked. I do feel the itch and there is nothing there, if the itch keeps getting worse i start getting lumpy bumps like i've been bitten. I start to swell up, not like fluid puffy because the swelling is more of a firm mass, its odd lol just to add to all the other odd.

btw my GP hadn't seen anything quite like it, didn't behave or look like hives should but treated it just like your doing, though it didn't help. I have an off the wall idea though, i have a 'lot' of fine muscle spasms and i also get patches of goose bumps and when i was trying to make sense of it, I stumbled upon something that might sort of explain this itch bump thingy.

Neuro goose bumps can apparently be caused by mimi muscle spasms in the pores or hair folical (can't work out how to say it technically) so if that can cause a bump to form then it might be possible for it to also cause the pore to become irritated and the itchy bump developes. Well its just an thought, lol one of many.

Cheers.......JJ      
What you are explaining sounds more like an allergic reaction or something else.

For instance, I also have psoriasis which can cause itching and little bumps the size of pinpricks. While this is also an autoimmune disorder it isn't related to MS.

In my experience the itching associated with MS is a numb patch of skin (usually deeper into the muscle) and is an itch that can not be scratched and the itch will go away once the numbness does.
Thanks for your reply. I saw my N. on Tuesday before the itching got really bad. Had just some slight itching then. N. said he had never heard of anything like this, but he ordered blood tests. Results haven't come back yet because of holiday weekend. Hopefully Tues. or Wed.
Thanks for the info. Yeah if I don't touch it at all, then it's bearable. But it's very, very hard not to scratch. The cool shower last night helped some and I have been using lotion today, which has helped a little bit too.
itching and MS
by dmcart, 18 hours ago
Tags: Itching