Multiple Sclerosis Community
kidneys and prednisone

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

kidneys and prednisone

My test results came back from my urine test and my doctor said the kidneys looked fine.  Now he thinks that it may be the prednisone causing me to sweat so much that I'm not having enough urine output and for my potassium being so low.  

I will sweat in buckets sometimes.  It's awful and embarrassing.  Anyway, my doctor is slowly weaning me off of the prednisone so we can see if that is the culprit.

What do you all think?  Could that be causing my potassium to be so low or is he grasping at straws?  He just sounded so unsure about it.

Thanks and I'll be praying,
Carol
Actually that makes sense.  I am so glad that your kidneys are fine.  Also, losing fluid by sweat would be a good reason for why your urine output is so low.  You lose large amounts of salt and potassium in your sweat.  We'll have to put you on Gatorade!  Seriously.  Also, because of the way the steroid works it can cause your kidneys to "waste" potassium.  

If this doesn't work soon, your doctor should have you seen by an endocrinologist to straighten out this potassium thing.  It is more dangerous than your MS right now.

Quix
I'm so happy that your kidneys are fine!!    Yeah, I agree with Quix ~ start drinking that Gatorade!!! :)

I hope the tapering off the prednisone helps you quickly!!!

Take care and prayers!!  Pat :)
Thats a blessing that the kidneys are functioning well.

Steroids can mess with the body levels so can other meds.My potassium was low,come to find out it was my nexium,taking it twice a day and that is what lowered mine.Check your meds for magnezium(sp)

Gaterade and BANANA's oh raisins help to

T
My doctor called later and he said that everything may be pointing towards cushings disease.  I started reading about it because I have never really heard about it before.  Then I got scared.  It sounds really dangerous.  Is it curable?  Should I be afraid or is this something that can be controlled?  Is this also an auto-immuned disease?  

I asked my doctor if this is what I have and not MS and he said no that this has just started and the lesions wouldn't go with cushings.  Can you have 2 auto-immune diseases at the same time?  I'm sorry if I sound dumb about all this, but I am.

I'll be praying and you please pray too.
Carol
Cushings Disease is totally treatable.  Don't worry.  I'll have to look it up to see if it is an autoimmune disease.  I and several other members on the forum have 2 autoimmune diseases.  Don't worry.  Quix
I sure am glad your kidneys are okay.  Please don't be scared about the cushings, you don't know for sure that is whats wrong.  You've had enough on your plate lately without worrying about something else until you know for sure.

You are a worrier like me and I can understand how this must scare you, but please try to take care of yourself and wait til you have a definite dx

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and praying for you numerous times a day.

Love & ((((hugs))))

doni
I guess your right,  my husband tells me that I sat around worrying about something to worry about.lol  The truth is he is right.  I'll try and not do that so much.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Just read this and wanted to add an extra prayers your way this am. . . . .sounds as if they are working to get to the bottom of it.

SL
Glad your kidneys are ok... that is the good news...Quix is right, of course, Cushing's is treatable, my friend is doing fine after treatment..

How are those dancing feet doing???
God bless,
Frann
Actually they feel like I'm carrying a block of cement on each one.  I can barely put one in front of the other but I'm doing it because I'm not sitting in that dad-gum chair today.

I'll be praying
Carol
Hey, Just wanted to say that glad ur kidneys are great... hey,  they have gatorade poweder at walmart.. much cheaper than the bottles :)  

take care
Roxanne
I too am glad your kidneys are good. That's a giant plus for you. Hope you're drinking that Gatorade...Sure sweet tho isn't it!  How are you doing cutting down on the prednisone? Feeling any ill effects? Hope not. When is your next appt?  I be praying for you, and hopin to hear you're up and dancin' soon. .....PS I'm 3 weeks into the not smoking thing! Did slip up twice, but right back on track again. See the Cardiologist on Thurs for referral, hope to figure out what is going on soon. Like everyone else.LOL. Take care, have a good Sunday. God Bless
Hi Carol,

Good news about the kidneys.  But you do need to find a way to get the electrolyte levels up and you should be drinking extra (gatorade or semething else with electrolytes)... It is very common to have more than one autoimmune condition.. and having one makes it a suspect to develop more.  Am sure you didn't want to hear that.

Cushing's is caused by overproduction of cortisol.  The good thing is that cushings can be treated.  Treatment would depend on cause, which they still need to identify.  Hope they can work that out quickly.  

Sally.

Way to go, Carol! Glad your kidneys are okay.  You don't need that on top of everything else.  Hopefully when you are weaned off the Prednisone and your potassium levels go back to normal, then you can get your knees done. You are like me, I feel sometimes something else is going on besides MS but I don't know what.
God bless
Marcie

Carol I'm so glad your kidneys are okay.  That is one load off your mind and then they give you something else to worry about. Try not to think about it too much until you know for sure. I will send my prayers your way.
Moki