Multiple Sclerosis Community
leg braces

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

leg braces

Well, today I got my new leg braces.  I feel sorta glad/sad.  If you know what I mean.  My problem is I am having a horrible time walking in them.  My doctor said that it will take a while to get used to them because they are a whole lot different than the temp. I was wearing.

These have hinges in the ankles and are spring loaded.  They try to keep my foot turned up as I walk.  It's so hard.  I thought I would be able to take off and walk like a pro.  Didn't happen like that at all.  I'll really be angry if I spent $1,600.00 for nothing.

Have any of you that wear braces had problems like this?  Does it take a while to get used to them?  If so, how long?

I'll be praying,
Carol

Tags: walking
I'm sorry I have no advice for you. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope that all it is, is a matter of getting used to them. I can understand your glad/sad state. But you are strong and will get through this.

I've heard of a spring in your step, but wow. lol (just hope to bring a little smile to your face)

Prayers and hugs to you Carol

Moki

Thanks for your prayers and hugs.  Something funny -  When I told my son that they where spring loaded he said "wow, Mom, now you can dunk the basketball".  haahaaheehee  I think that I'll try it just for him.lol

I'll be praying,
Carol
Hi Carol,
Would  your doctor order some physical or occupational therapy for you so you can get some help with walking in them?  Just a few sessions to get you going and adjusted?  just a thought...I will be praying for you....Craig
Honey Pie~

Yep, I know what you mean about the sad/glad thing.  ANYTHING we spend $1,600 is going to take some getting used to, you know THAT.  You're the wisest one on this forum, Hot Legs.  You of all of us know that when you spend that much money, your Oklahoma legs are going to take some time easing into them.  If you had Hollywood legs, you might be able to just slip them on without noticing, but even smoking HOT legs like yours need a little adjustment period.  Ya know?

My mom just got a brace for her drop foot, and she was rocking and rolling again in a week or two, but we're from DEtroit.  In Oklahoma, ya might take 2-3 weeks, but if I remember, you're on the border, so that may shorten your time a bit.  A week or two and you should be back to your HOT Legs trcks, I should guess!  Yep, I'd say a week or two, and you'll be as good as new, sweet thing!

Hang in there!

Zilla*  
Leg braces....oh gosh...you all made me cry.  How I feel for you.  I try to remember that if these ugly devices help you to walk, than it's a great thing.  Just the thought of you having to go through this, just breaks my heart.

I am a thankful woman, that I am able to walk unaided.  I frequently take that for granted.  Thank you for your post.  It brings me back down to earth to realize how others go through so much more than I do.

As Carol always says, I'll be praying....

Heather
Hi carol sorry you re having a hard time i did try them but found them difficult . I have to go back and try again as i think its the only way forward so we can still get out and about . I understand what you mean about being pleased but sad at the same time i think its hard to accept . Please let me know how tou get on with them and i will definately be thinking of you . Just think on carol thus time next year if you do get on with them perhaps you can have a dance again thats something i really miss , when everyone is dancing and i wish to get up there , these are the silly things that mean a lot . Good luck and i will give it another go too .
love and cuddles jules
Carol,

I am so sorry you are feeling down. I agree with Zilla, you are and always have been "MY HERO".  You have been thru so much, but you just keep on keeping on, you are an inspiration for all of us.

You will get those braces doing what you want in no time, I know what a determined lady you are.  Try to hold off on the basketball for a week or two, just until you get the spring loader working the way you want it to. ha...ha....ha

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Love & (((((hugs)))))

doni
Hi Carol,  just checking in....how are you doing today with the braces??  Still praying...Craig.
Hi everyone,  I'm doing much better today than I was yesterday.  I used some larger sized shoes with them and it helped a whole lot.  It's still a little rough at times but still a lot better.

Thank you all so much for your concerns and prayers.  You all mean the world to me, and I love spending time with everyone.

Hey Zilla, where you insinuating that Oklahoma people are slowwww.hahaheehee   See, I made progress in 1 day not 2 weeks.  Your so funny.  I died laughing when I read that.  We just talk slow and make whoopie slow, everything else we are pretty quick at.lol lol lol

I'll probably be trying to dunk a basketball by tomorrow and then dancing tomorrow night.  Have a good weekend and stay out of pain.

I'll be praying,
Carol