Multiple Sclerosis Community
leg feels like it's falling asleep

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

leg feels like it's falling asleep

I have been having pain in my right ankle for a few months now.  The pain is every day, but sometimes it's worse than others.  I have been having tingling in my feet and a numb feeling, but lately I have been having a feeling in my right foot and right calve that feels like my leg in going to sleep.  It's such an anoying feeling, I keep trying to move my leg to see if the normal feeling will return, but it doesn't.  Sometimes I get a feeling in my foot like there is a deep cold like ice inside of my foot. Does anyone else have sensations like this? If so is there anything you do that helps.  Thanks
Hi Lydia,

We haven't met as yet so welcome to the forum. Congrats on being a cancer survivor! I have experienced the sensations you have described. They are paraesthsias , which are sensory symptoms. There is a Health Page written about this Here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Paresthesias---Things-That-Go-BUZZ-in-the-Night/show/378?cid=36

The Health Pages in the upper right hand corner of the page, next to the yellow icon, have a wealth of information. There is also a "Search this community" located just above the Recent Activity column where you can search for specific situations closest to your situation.

As for relief, I didn't get relief until I was put on gabapentin (Neurontin). Great drug it did the trick. You will probably notice that it worsens if you are tired or have over-exerted yourself.

One other thought is that some chemotherapy regimens include drugs that cause neuropathy. You might want to ask your doc about this.

I hope this helps!

Ren
Thank you, I read the information and it was very helpful. Sometimes it seems like this symptom is gone and than it just comes back again. It can be frightening not knowing why this is happening and wondering if it will get better or worse.
I also get the numb tingling in my foot and my calf.  It seems like it starts in my foot and works its way up the back side of my calf. And I get what feels like cold water running down the lower inside of my leg and also a burning/hypersensitive feeling.

I've just lived with it so far, so I'm not sure what you can take for it.

-Kelly