Multiple Sclerosis Community
leg pain please help

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

leg pain please help

Good Afternoon to all, I am wondering does any one get hip,leg, shin and knee pain during the nite? I get this and it wakes me, and I have to keep turning over all nite to relieve the pressure. During the day the pain in my leg from the knee down  on the outside of my  knee and shin is painful which causes me to limp alot...going up stairs is very painful.This is only in my left leg...a couple of months ago I had stabbing pains in my right shin which for some strange reason has gone away . I am getting to wonder if this is all part of MS or something else...waiting forv MRI in Oct. Getting worse instead of better since my visit with the nero. I also get those funny moving muscle in my thighs...
That's hard to say if this is part of MS or not.  I get pain in my hips, sometimes, which I think is related to spasticity.  I no longer (used to) get pain in my joints other than my hips.  I had hypothyroidism which I think caused some of the fibromyalgia that I had.  Once I got treatment, the pain went away.  

There's many things that will cause pain and the human body is so complex.  Plus, I don't know of what your other symptoms are.  No telling what it could be.  Let your doctor know about this development because I know that pain can be quite debilitating.  Perhaps you can get something to help ease the pain.
Hi Deb, I do. My hips hurts, knees, legs, etc. I had an mri to make sure nothing was wrong with my back and it was fine. Had my hip x-rayed and it was fine. I am blaming it on MS. If not then oh well. I will write more via email..best to you...
I need to read these more. to find out who is posting what and replying. I am so sorry...my reply was for Cozy....
Cozy,

I have leg pain, it's mostly in my lower legs in the shin area. My neurologist thinks it is due to MS and is a type of neuropathic pain.  I take neuropathic pain meds and they relieve the pain.

With empathy,
Ren
I've been getting hip and leg pain in bed, too.  I have transverse myelitis with a couple of cervical lesions, plus a herniated disc in my thoracic, but not dx with MS as of yet.

I had been sleeping on one of those big wedge pillows, and removing it seemed to help my hips.  Last night, I couldn't get comfortable on either side, so I removed my second pillow and tried just one.  It helped a tiny bit.

I think I'd be much better off sleeping on my back, but I can't get my legs elevated in the right way to prevent pain in my lower back.

Hubby was having chest muscle pain--we're both side sleepers--so we cured that with the purchase of a soft mattress topper because we have a very firm mattress.  That seemed to be helping my hips and legs for a while, but now it's not.

I have trouble getting to sleep because my feet feel numb and my legs are getting restless.  During the night, it changes to where my feet feel normal, but then the hip pain starts in.  All this rolling over is annoying, because I have to readjust my cpap mask and hose every time.  Neither of these things were a problem during my sleep study last fall.

Am I going to have to buy one of those beds that raises and lowers the head and feet?  If this is neurological-related, why don't my legs hurt all the time?
hi i too get hip pain shin pain as well extreme pain in buttocks when sitting have to move aroung feel like im sitting on the ground,shin pain badly when i walk down a hill i think its part of ms.