Multiple Sclerosis Community
loss of singing voice

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

loss of singing voice

I hve been singing for 27 years
It seems that my tone has completely changed along with my range.  After singing I have a real hard time talking.   Very raspy.  I know that age can affect the singing voice but wow.    i am now so limited.   I feel like I am soon going to lose my singing ability.  Does this happen?   I was diognosed with MS a year ago
Im sorry! I really dont know the answer to that question but you have my sympthy on being unable to do something you love. The health pages up at the top right..with a little yellow square might have some information on that! Maybe some of the members here might no.

Perhaps If you love singing so much maybe you could find another way to involve your love with something else? Perhaps writing songs, and then maybe using an instrument to play them? Perhaps you could join a choir? I know that sounds weird to do, but youd still be singing and you can sing softer but still join in when you can because you have back up?

I know nothing can replace what you love to do but you can always find other ways to embrace it.

I love to dance. I have (had) very good rhythm. It is a deep passion of mine that I can no longer do, I found that out after I started dancing and collasped shortly after. I have found sitting in my seat and moving my arms to the music makes me happy. My husband and I slow dance ..he helps alot lol but its still dancing.

I watch dancing movies and instead of feeling bad I appreciate their talent and sometimes critique them in comedic way (to make myself feel better..they are only movies*)

Good luck! If you need anything im just a holler away!

Inny

Hi...so sorry u r loosing something u obviously love. I would look into it possibly being reflux...it can affect ur voice.....and ne meds u may be on, could be causing the reflux.
Do look into being seen by a GI dr...silent reflux also know as  Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.Please see the Health Pages for more info.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Gastroenterology/list?cid=236

"selma"
I had a patient a few years ago who was a singer, and her first MS flare was actually noticing a huge change in her singing voice. That's the only example I know, but it is possible.
I don't know if it is MS related but I also have been a singer since I won competitions when I was 14 years old. It has been a passion all my life and until 2 years ago I sang in a small group of 7, I was the only contralto so it was demanding and it also involved singing solo lots.

2 years ago I noticed that after I had been singing for a while like you I had problems talking - like my voice was tired. Let's face it the voice box is a muscle so  it is possible it's just that my voice was very powerful.

I am now reduced to singing in a large choir and if I try to turn the power up my voice cracks and I can start a coughing fit. Any concerts leave me speechless - literally.

I did wonder if it was connected to MS but cannot find any answers - so I would be interested too after 41 years as a singer it is gutting especially when I sit next to a 70 year old in the choir who is still singing strongly.

I have also been suffering a cough for the last 7 months see my seperate question.

Take care
Pat
I lost my powerul singinig voice for over due the EBV and asthama. I came back and is better thanever.

Alex

I am pasionate about singing which goes back to my school days whne I was head of our school choir. Since then I always enjoyed singing and have been in church choirs for many years. About 2 years ago I found the courage to go for singing lessons which was something I had alwasy wanted to do and I loved it.

When I was dx's with MS I foudn that my singing was affected by my slight lack of hearing as I could not always hear if I was in tune and one side sounded different to the other. This has continued but I stopped the singing lessons as I got so tired and have not restarted them.

I think that MS has only had an indirect effect on my singing..and I shall try and go back to singing lessons but I do not know if it affects the muscles in your throat.  I would ask your neuro next time you go as it may be nothing to do with MS and maybe you need to see a throat specialist who could look at your vocal chords?

Keep the music within you and I hope that you will find your voice again..it is a gift to be able to sing.

wtih love Sarah xxx
the issue that i have had is strength and the ability to hear. I can still hear tone as lone as my monitor is on my right. I can not do a concert for longer than an hour solo but as long as I have others with me that can give me a break I can go longer. I save those songs with a wider range for last as those tire me quicker. And ys I am raspy after but that is a small price to pay. I have been singing gopel music since I was a teenager and I do not plan to give it up even if I have to do it from a wheelchair and the only one listening is God himself. So do what you love within your limitations
I guess from what I have heard from others I could be having these issues from the MS.  I will not give up singing.  I think That I need to exercise my voice more during the week.  We have practice at church once a week and then church on Sunday.  That is just not enough to keep the strength up in my voice.  I think I have been spoiled in the past that i didn't have to practice alot to keep the strength but its different now.  It's buckle down time.  if I don't want to see this disappear i need to take it more seriously and practice more.  
Thank all of u for your concern and advise. I will push on and not give it up.
Blessings to u
helloo lee,

I  am sorry you have this troubles. Our heart of communication ,our voice and speech , are very precious. My doctors could not be certain which illness  is caused this for me,  but I can tell you of certainty, yes ms (and neeurologic illness) can cause voice symptoms.
selma  and sarah have  good advice, to see your sepcialists to see if they can see where it comes from so you may be treated for the best help.

My voice and speech are greatly effected, i rarelly answer my phone unless I hear how is calling and know them I will pick up.
I see a doctor that works with performers, she couls see from the scope my vocal folds are not working( one side spasms and other weak) and  perscribed Lee Silverman voice therapy technique. It is very intense and drainingg. But it has helped so much.

I encourage you to find out what actually is happening, remember in m.s. there is fines lines for the benefit and overdoing.
goood luck , amo
Mine is gone too.  I used to sing in the choir and can not hold a note now.  

LA
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this.

It sounds as if you have received some good advise/suggestions.  I really have nothing to offer other than my compassion for what you are experiencing.  As if this damned disease couldn't find enough ways to harm us!!  

I share others' passion for singing, however, I sound like a flock of intoxicated geese in the middle of an asthma attack!

Wishing you the best

Frank
Hi Lee,

I too got raspy, but it was after a few months of treatment (I'm on rebif). I thought it was allergy, then I thought maybe it's the meds - i looked and looked but didn't find anything substantial/credable on the net to say either way.

It doesn't happen very often now and I don't sing so it affects nothing really.  I hope it goes away for you despite the source so you can do what you enjoy!!!!!!

-shell