Multiple Sclerosis Community
lumbar headache

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

lumbar headache

hi i had a lumbar puncture on the 12th may this week the doctor had problems getting the fluid he took at least 6 attempts as it was very painfull he used 2 viles of anesthetic and i still had pain eventually he got it, i have had a severe head ache since and only get reief when flat on back can anyone tell me when this will go away as i feel i cant wait until it does its making me feel sick, i sit up for a few minutes and it returns like so much pressure i have to lie down again i am flat on my back just now typig this any advice would be much appreciated thanks
hi, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I have to go this wed. for a puncture and your scenerio  is what I fear most. I have read on this forum that if you have a headahe like that for more than 2 days you may need what is called a blood patch. you need to call your doctor and tell him what you are going through. who did your test?
hi i am sorry and dont wish to put anyone off i think i must be 1 of the few who have problems with it, i had it done in the southern general in glasgow i ndont know the docs name , i dont like to jump the gun by phoning the doc but if i have to by tomorrow then i will,i fear that by the amount of times he was in and out then i may have an infection or leak i will give it untill tomorrow and if i am no better then i will go to a&e or dial nhs 24 there was no pain with the needle going in it was only when it was in that i had pain he managed to get it that was the main thing as i wouldnt like to go through it again my friend had it done with no pain first time so i think it was my spine that had problems thanks
If it subsides when you lay down - it's a leak.

It will seal back up eventually - but my Dr. told me I had 2 options:

1) lay flat for 24 hrs
2) go to the hospital for a blood patch

Your spinal fluid only repleneshes itself a couple times a day.  So, when you get a leak, spinal fluid leaks from the puncture site.  A blood patch I've heard provides instant relief and laying flat takes a bit longer.

My leak occurred 3 days after the tap.  I chose to lay flat and knew I'd not be able to stand long enough to get the hospital.

It's horrifying Maggs, but it happens despite you and your Drs best efforts.  Keep lots of fluid in you, add a little caffeine here and there, and park your butt in bed in front of the tv and just get up to eat...lol  (oh, that's if you don't go for the patch).

Keep us posted - and, notify the Dr!
So Sorry Hugs,
-Shell
I had to have a blood patch with my first son after an epidural.  It is really quite simple.

They take the blood from your arm, then insert it into your spine into the same location that the LP was done.  The relief was immediate.

I think you should call today.  After my LP, I had a headache for about 4 hours, but then nothing.  I would think that you are having abnormal reactions to it, why suffer needlessly.  You are paying a LOT of money to have this test done.  After care is generally included.  CALL THE DOCTOR!!
Oh, and I layed even longer than 24 hrs - I was hurting from that too - but nothing compared to the leak pain......It will get better soon
my experience has been, after about 5 days the headaches/nausea will begin to subside.  i had  a few blood patches when on active duty, and they work in an instant. if you can get one i say go for it. otherwise, it is about a 5 day storm to ride out.

hang in there they will pass
Maggs
So sorry you got the LP headache!  Lie flat as much as possible, drink lots of fluids (My dr told me to drink caffeine).  The one good thing about this headache is the felief you get when you lay down - thank you God!!!  Anyway - the headache can be fixed with a blood patch where they put your own blood back in the site to help heal the hole that the spinal fluid is leaking from internally.  My vice grip headache lasted a week!  The doctor said he has seen people have it as long as 6 weeks!  The patch is alway an option!  Take care & stay flat.  Keep us posted.

Janette
thanks for the advice i think i will keep on my back apart from going to loo for the now see how it goes hopefully it will plug up shortly as i dont want another needle in that area unless its a must cheers i have posted a picture on my profile of lp not to put anyone of just to make sure it looks ok compared to everyone elses lp areas thanks
Maggs
:)  Looks like we are all saying the same thing - I just took longer to write then the others so sorry for the repeat in advice  :)
hi , how long do you believe that the headache should reasonably last? I am going for this test on wed. and I would like to know when to call the doctor. I heard yesterday from someone who told me at the doctors office that they had the headache for 12 days. Is that because she did not lay down long enough for the leak to seal? If you get the bloodpatch does that in itself hurt going back into the spine? Sorry for all the questions I would just like to know what I am in for. Thanks
Hi, I was also one of the unfortunates that had a LP where they had a hard time doing it, I thought them trying 3 times on me was bad enough!

I called for the blood patch, got it on the third day, and it was simple, easy, and gave immediate relief.  A wonderful anesthesiologist did it, and I'm forever grateful to her.

I've heard of the headaches lasting a few days, then other stories of longer lasting ones.

It's up to you, of course, but I would strongly recommend the blood patch.  In the meantime, drink lots of fluids, walk bent over when you go to the bathroom so your head doesn't pound as much, and lie flat as much as you can.

Take care,

Kathy
hi thanks for that i have been crawling as the poundings so sore the pain killers take the edge of it for about an hour my partner has not done so much with my son for a long while hes at icehokey just now with him so as far as im concerned the pain so far has been worth my sons time spent with his dad.he normally does nights and misses everything this week he is off to help out.
Well, then, a silver lining in this cloud of pain.  I'm glad that your partner could take this week off to help you out, and that your son gets some quality time with his dad out of the whole thing.
that's just horrible ... I'm sorry you had to have such a procedure done so poorly.  I hope you feel better soon and rest up...go to the hospital if you need...

take care
wobbly
undx
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with the spinal tap and that you are suffering so.

My headaches lasted about 4-5 days.   They did taper off each day (the time increased when I could stand/sit up without the headache).  

I never had a blood patch.  Since the headaches appeared to be getting better each day, I figured I was getting better.

I'm glad that your partner is helping you and that he is able to spend more time with your son!!

Like the others posted, please call your doc if you need too!

Take care, Pat :-)

Hi Maggs
I Am Glad That You Had Your LP And Hopefully It Won't Be Too Long Before You Get Your Results.
I Did Warn You About The Headaches, But Looking At Your Pictures Of The LP Site
The Doctor Wasn't Called Stevie Wonder Was He.
I Could Have Done A Better Job Myself, There Seems To Be About 7Or8 Holes There No The Wonder You Feel Like You Do.
Anyway Stay With It And Be Assured That We Are All Thinking Of You.
Take Care.
Joe.
Ouch.  I took a look at your pictures.  If the same doctor who did the LP would be the same doctor to patch, I'd say never-mind and try to rough it out for a couple of days.  This doctor is a bit rusty on giving LP's.  He could use a set of bifocals or something.  

I've had two done.  Once in the ER.  After the procedure, I left and went about my business.  The 2nd one caused me to have to lie flat for two days. It was very painful but felt better as each hour passed.  

On the other hand, you have so many punctures.  If your head begins to hurt while lying down, call the doctor.  Maybe someone else fills in for him on the weekends.  Crossing my fingers for you.  
Roncart - as far as knowing, you will know for sure if it happens.  It's obvious.  Not like your typical headache - it's a bone crushing pain that subsides immediately when you lay flat.....  They had no troubles getting my fluid, and I did everything they said to do.  It's just one of those unavoidable scenarios that can happen even when you follow all the all the rules.

Good luck to you with yours!  You'll be fine! And, if it does happen there are the 2 options!

Maggs, don't you be getting up and down now.... "Seal Well" I mean, Feel Well Soon!
-shell
Oooohhh, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  I spent 4 days with that and then told my husband to just take me out back and shoot me!  He took me to the hospital, instead, and I got a blood patch.  Instant Relief!!!  So much better!

Best thoughts for pain relief!
Cheers,
Guitar_grrrl
hi got up this morning really slow headache better then bam no its not back to lieing down god hope its away tomorrow feel as if i have been on alcohol for a month  ahhh cant wait until it goes.
It may be time to get thee to the ER and request the help of a blood patch.  Have you called the doctor about this? Please don't suffer unnecessarily - we don't give badges for that skill.

as always,
Lu
Question:  Has the pressure you mentioned in your head diminished?  The need for blood patch does not depend just on headache.

After my spinal tap, I was nauseous, vomiting, feeling the most miserable I had in my whole life for days (which is why I now totally discourage people from having spinal taps: The information gained is simply not worth the risk in my opinion).  

I went to the ER (the first time) a couple of days after the tap, feeling so miserable, but the ER doc just couldn't make the connection between my symptoms and the spinal tap because I did not have the requisite headache that all the textbooks said I should have with a spinal fluid leak.

That's right - no headache.  I had NO headache whatsoever, but was sick as a dog - woozy with tremendous head pressure and a loud roaring sound in my head like I was in the boiler room of a ship.  And I had obediently spent days lying flat and drinking caffeinated drinks just like they suggested I do.

Finally, after about 5 days of lying flat after the tap, I called a contact nurse who queried me and urged me to get to the ER ASAP!  I called an ambulance (because by then no way could I drive).  It was the right thing to do!!  I saw the same clueless ER doc, but this time, I insisted on a "blood patch."  They put me on oxygen - as my O2 sat had dropped to about 89% - and prepared me for the blood patch.  They have to start an IV in your arm so they can take blood out and inject it into your spinal fluid so it can clot off and plug the leak (spinal fluid does not have blood cells in it - no platelets so it otherwise it can't clot without the addition of injected blood).  

After being whisked down to the radiology department, I had a moment of terror when the radiologist who was going to do the blood patch balked at doing it and started to walk away because I had not mentioned having a "headache."   So I blurted out that I had "the worst headache of my life" (even though I didn't) in order to get the treatment I knew I needed.  

The blood patch was no picnic (because the same radiologist from Hell who did my spinal tap did the blood patch) but within minutes, I was feeling better.  Within 20 minutes after the blood patch I was feeling much better!!  My symptoms never returned.  I regretted not having had the blood patch much sooner!!

While I don't recommend spinal tap, I do very highly recommend blood patch!!  It works!!

WAF
hi, maggs. Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I have been thinking of you and hoping that your misery was over. sad to hear that it is ongoing :(  It may be time to look into that blood patch that everyone is talking about,or at least calling the doctor to see what he advises. hope that you feel better soon.
thanks for the warnings.I know about the headache, I have had that spinal headache twice in my life. Luckily for me they only lasted 2 days. I did not need any patching done. I am worried more about this because I am having two procedures done at the same time. First I guess the lp and then they will inject dye into the spine and take a catscan of my neck. I was told the 2 procedures should take about 90 mins. I just hope they get it right the first time. My heart aches for maggs. I cannot believe what they did to that poor girls back.
Go get a blood patch asap.  I had a horrible spinal headache for 5 days after my LP.  At first the neuro (I like to call him Dr. Jerky) wouldn't let me have one.  After 5 days (and losing 8 pounds) he finally consented.  The anesthesiologist who did it said if it's not better after 24 hours they should do a blood patch.

Go get one now!  If your neuro can'tdo it, go to the ER (if you're in the US)--they should be able to send you from there.  It's INSTANT relief!

Feel better soon.

Stephanie
hi at last i can sit up with no head ache its easing off i had to come on line to let everyone know i was feeling better at long last i think i was a one off with my experiance and not everyone as you read have the same problems i think i have arthritis in my spine at bottom as i have psoriatic arthritis and have quite a few deformities in my hands and feet my back has gave me some pain in the past and the doc kept asking me when he was trying to do the procedure if i had back problems so please dont worry about getting this done i had to get it done to get some answers for my lesion in my neck take care and hope it goes well for you im feeling alot better tonight than i did this morning.
hi I'm 20 I had a small sharp pain behind my ear I went to the er needed to test a c t scan and a lumbar puncture this was done on a sunday night been on the following monday morning after lumbar puncture I'm vomiting my hips are sore my lower back was sore and then on tuesday a small headache. After the small headache gradually turned into a full beard excruciating headache and with that I also felt nausea lots of nausea the next day on wednesday was the peak of my headache all day I could not move I have a stiff neck and more nausea mind you a headache was still there the best way I can describe it is it starts of small gets worse its peak and then it slowly subsides gradually but the pain is still there littlebit I'm hoping it goes away soon this is been a bad experience for me but I hope it gets better