lumber puncture
is lumber puncture painful?did anybody do it before and can help me
Hey there,

You will be pleased to know that the majority of people don't find the experience too bad. The big benefit is that it may bring you one step closer to a diagnosis. Of course if the result is negative for oligoclonal bands you can still have MS.

I felt a sharp sting followed by electricity up my spine. It took around 7 -10 minutes I think to collect enough fluid and then I was told to lie still for the next four hours. I found myself feeling overwhelmed by the whole experience and being fearful of what was happening to me. It was a purely emotional response I think rather than anything physical.

Anyway, I hope you sail through yours without any trouble and get a result in a couple of weeks or earlier.

Blessings
Alex
Hi,I was gooing to say the same as Alex actually.I think the worst bit is the thought of what's happening rather than any physical pain. I was terrified but can honestly say it didn't hurt at all. There was a sharp scratch and I could kind of feel a sort of pressure but that was it. I was one the unfortunate ones who had a bad after-effect's but from what I've read, that's pretty rare. I hope all goes well for you.
Take care, Zoe
My son Jordan was 11 and he said it hurt but not too bad.  He said it felt fine after the first "poke".  He doesn't want to do it again LOL but he's more concerned with using a butterfly needle for lab draws!  Goodluck but I think it's not too bad.  The dr's that do those are really good and have done many.
The fear is the worst part. Try not to think about it I know that is easier said than done.

Alex
Oh one oother piece of advice is to keep as still as you possibly can once you're in the right position. The doctor will inject a local anesthetic before the LP and if you keep very, very still the lumbar needle will follow exactly the same path as the anesthetic. I hope this helps
I agree with HVAC. The worst part of my LP experience was the anticipation. The actual LP and its aftermath were no problem what so ever!
I wrote about my LP in detail and put it in my journal for easy retrieval because we get this question quite often.  You can read how mine was done in the neurologist's office at

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/42150/My-LP---in-all-the-details---not-new-but-here-for-reference

Everyone is right - the anticipation is horrible.  We think of extreme stuff when told we are doing this test.  Most people sail through with little or no problems.

A few people do have difficulty with the post-LP headache, which comes from leaking spinal fluid. About 17% of all people undergoing an LP have this problem.   If you get this headache, be sure to post here and there are lots of tips we can share to help you through.  

good luck and come back and tell us more,
Lulu
I was one of the unlucky few who had the post-lumbar puncture headache. While it affects few, I think it's important to know about beforehand so it doesn't scare you too much if it happens. If you've ever had a migraine, it's kind of/sort of like a migraine.

In addition to laying still after the procedure, like everyone said, I would also recommend drinking plenty of water the day of the procedure. This is totally unscientific, but I was a little dehydrated the day of my LP and think that may have had something to do with how long my headache lasted (5 days). Also, if you can keep your schedule somewhat light the few days following, that might be nice, just in case the headache does hit you.

Best wishes.
Jane
I've had a couple of them.  The first time, I was dehydrated so didn't go very smoothly.  The next time I made sure I had plenty of fluids on board; and it went fine.  Like everyone else has said- the anticipation is terrible.  I can't say I enjoy them, they are not nearly as bad as people think they are- most of the time...  Although I have heard from a few people that had a dreadful experience.  

I was told to lay flat for 24 hours, and to drink lots of fluids- and caffeine.  My back was sore for a few days each time, but it's manageable.

Try not to stress about it.  I highly recommend getting your LP done under fluoroscope.  It makes all much easier.

Hugs,
Tammy