Multiple Sclerosis Community
ms and tattoos

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

ms and tattoos

is the tatoos  safe for multiple sclerosis?
Many people with MS have tatoos. I have never had one so how it effects MRIs I do not know.

Alex
the MRI tattoo concern mainly comes from tattoos you would do yourself of have done in prison - the ones that contain heavy metals can create a problem.

Supposedly commercially done tattoos pose no problem, but avoid doing the permanent eyeliner,  to be especially safe.
We have some folks here - such as Rita - who have gotten tattoos acknowledging  their MS .

If you still have questions, ask your neurologist.

Be sure to post a picture once you get it done!
Lulu
Have you asked your neuro if he sees any reason you shouldn't get a tattoo?  I got one about 2 yrs ago, and have had no problems.  I spoke to my neuro when I was thinking of getting one, because I had already been on Tysabri for 2 yrs at that point, and Tysabri is an immunosuppressant.  My neuro could see no reason why I couldn't get one - just stressed how important it was keep it clean while it was healing, and be sure I had it done at a reputable place.

I've had no problems with it at all.  It has never been an issue with MRIs, either.  I don't know if matters if the tattoo was placed somewhere close to what was being looked at with the MRI.  My MRIs have all been on my head since I got the tattoo, and mine is on my left side/flank.  You could always just call and ask an MRI tech where ever you normally get them.

Is this your first tattoo?  Mine is my first and only one.  I still love it.  But I don't recommend getting one down your side - hurt a lot more than I had anticipated, lol!  When it was done, the tattoo artist told me its the most painful place on the body to get one - somehow he failed to mention that before he started, lol.

If you get one,be sure to show us!  so many tattoos have really cool stories.

Rita