Multiple Sclerosis Community
ms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

ms

i was told i have ms my spainal fluid says yes but my mri is confusing each time they do 1 i have more lesions taking avonex shot  once a week if its wrong what has this med done to me along with rbif and copaxine put me in the hospital 4days
that's complicate, I understand what you being going through. I had go to 8 diferent neurologist in order to know what I have;and sometimes they got wrong with me and put through a lot a pain and dangerous situations. what you have to do is try to find a doctor that have good backgrounds from people that you know, and ask for a second opinion
Hi Lillian and welcome to our little MS community,

I'm not sure i understand what your asking so bare with me :o) I gather your MRI's are showing you are still getting new lesions even though you've been on 3 different DMD's over the years. The research says that the DMD's reduce the number of lesions but they havent shown (so not expected) that they will completely stop lesion production.

For reasons i dont quite understand, the DMD's do not work for everyone, the stats run around 1/3 success rate, that's slowing down the disease, they will not very often (if ever) stop it! It isn't uncommon for pwMS to run through each of the DMD's, trying to find the one that works for them, unfortunately sometimes none do.

I couldn't say if you've had an adverse reaction to the Drug or if what put you in the hospital was your MS, i'm sorry but you've not provided enough information on what happened so i'd really just be guessing.

What are your dr's suggesting your next step is?

Cheers.......JJ
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I really wish I had answers for you. Just know, You are not alone and I'm praying for you. Good Luck. I will say this, it's Odd that your spinal fluid isn't showing it, but Your MRI is showing Lesions. If you feel the medicine is affecting you, speak to your Dr about it. If youre not comfortable with his/her opinion. Get a second one, as MS/ lesions, growing lesions are not good. Usually, MS is seen in SPinal Fluid. For instance, My MRI doesn't show any lesions, but my Dr. is almost convinced I have it....but can't rule it out without checking My Spinal Fluid for O bands. Hope this helps.
Hi and welcome! I'm not diagnosed with anything yet. Still going through all the testing. My neurologist is leaning toward MS though there is still a lot to be done.

He suggested a lumbar puncture. He explained that while a positive one can help with a diagnosis, a negative one doesn't mean you don't have MS. About 15 to 20 percent of people with MS don't have the o-bands. Yes, muddies the water a bit!

I have learned so much from the health pages here and reading posts on here. Unless you are a " textbook " case, it takes a lot of testing and ruling out of other things before a diagnosis, for the most part.

My guess, OP, and I am nowhere near a professional, is that your lesions are in the locations most common in MS. MS means multiple scars. You may very well have the lesions yet be in the percentage that doesn't have o bands.

Take care,
Hugs, Minnie  

Wow, my cognition is awful today. I thought I had read you didn't show anything in your spinal fluid. I am very sorry, I didn't intend to confuse you!   Oh well, perhaps my answer may help someone :)

The next time you see your neurologist, let him or her know your concerns and you can come up with a treatment plan that will perhaps work better for you.

Hugs,
Minnie
my spinal did conferm ms but in nov i had 18 lessions  more detailed mri showed 112 in april plus closed main blood vessel but my lessions r not in a qoute normal area for ms thats my question 2 nuros have told me i have it but  my question is does anyone else have a unusal mri
that was 8  lesions lol and the 12 lol sorry
was on rebif for 3 weeks and copaxene for only 11 shots but doing good i guess on anonex but cant get my blood pressure above 85 and yes i said 85 and heart rate is real low no cure for low blood presssure  just wonder if should just stop everything and just deal with it
sometimes i cant rember my kids names and does mashed potatoes get butter and milk it suck wen u stand there and wonder about crap or convesed on y u went to a room not altimers
Hi. It sounds to me like you need to get another appointment with your neurologist, write down your questions and get some answers specific to your situation.  As for the low blood pressure, I have that problem too. Therer are meds you can take to elevate it or you can use salt.  Yes, ordinary table salt will help elevate BP - that's what my cardiologist prescribed.  Before you add that though, be sure to talk to the doctor.

The confusion can often come just from the stress of our being ill.  It sounds like you are newly diagnosed and that is so stressful.  I  hope you will find some ways to relax a bit and talk to the doctor about all these questions.

~L
as for the change in lesion count - that isn't unusual.  Our bodies keep trying to heal damaged areas and that goes for lesions as well.  It tries to put down new myelin covering on the nerves but it doesn't do as good a job as the original.