ms
Hi i have just joined..i have never spoken to any body else who has ms....i would like to know if any body else with ms has trouble first thing in the morning ie getting out of bed i am useless for about two hours i have secondry progressive...
        i have ppms and i have had many problems standing up after sleeping.  i keep two pills and bottled water within arms distance of my bed. 20 mg of baclafen and 10 mg of ampyra and 15 minutes later i can stand with out all the tone seizures.    barry
could it be caused by some of your meds?  I have rrms and my night meds give me difficulty in rising in the morning.  I too keep water at my bedside and have meds I have to take upon rising.

welcome to our group
Hi, Ratch and welcome.  If you want to talk to people with MS, you have definitely come to the right place.  Everyone here likes to talk.  LOL

As for your question, yes- I am a slow mover in the morning.  I have RRMS and I get out of bed about 6 am and leave the house after 8 am for work.  It takes all of that time to get my legs under me, so to speak. I take my meds first thing when I get up and then wait for them to kick in.  

Welcome to this forum and I hope you will come back often to talk with us.

Laura
I have a hard time in the morning but I'm just NOT a morning person.  I don't leave for work until about two in the afternoon!  Sometimes arthritis and/or spasticity in my muscles will make it hard to get out of bed when I first wake up.  I also find I need about twice as much time to do ANYTHING these days.  Nothing is quite as easy as it used to be.

I have noticed lately though that I handle mental tasks better in the first couple hours of my day.  Once fatigue or heat start to set in my brain just wants to shut down.

Glad you found us and joined in ratch!  Feel free to comment and ask questions as you browse the forum.  Make sure you take a look at our Health Pages (indexed at http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=36) but be sure to join in on discussions.  This is a great place to feel less alone when living life with MS.
like two pack, it takes me longer also.  Although I often get up at 8-9 in the morning, its sometimes noon before I have finished coffee and breakfast and am wondering where the morning went!
Trouble is, my wife's the opposite.  Nothing at all for her to be up taking a brisk walk before dawn (though I doubt that happens until local wind chill readings are back above freezing).
I often have to wait until my eyes work themselves out, before i attempt to get moving, otherwise its a bit of a wild walk. I think for me, there are a number of factors that are at work, to make some mornings more of an issue for me than they are at other times. eg summer/heat, fatigue, relapse, how physically active I was the day before, amount of sleep etc etc

Getting up the last few days has been harder for me than usual, over here in Australia its summer and my air-conditioner isn't working so its been way too hot for me. It wasn't until 1pm that i actually woke today, and i waited and waited but my bladder was just not that patient (lol). So reaching the bathroom was a bit of an issue, avoiding walls and doorways when the invisible man unexpectedly kept giving me a shove for kicks and giggles was not that easy but with my leg deciding it was made of jelly, it was an interesting start to the day lol and has continued its down hill slide from there with the day only getting that much hotter.

I'd kill to live in an igloo right about now!

Cheers........JJ

My legs are always weak and stiff in the morning. And I wake up many times during the night because it hurts around the sides of my knees when I'm trying to extend my leg out - the pain wakes me up out of my sleep and my leg starts shaking when I'm extending it.  I wake up about 5am for work and I typically don't get out the door until about 7:45am - 8am.