Multiple Sclerosis Community
muscle fatigue- does it come and go?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

muscle fatigue- does it come and go?

i'm noticing a major increase in muscle fatigue. actually had to ask a stranger on the street to help me find my keys in my purse when i got sick of taking breaks in between rummaging- learned two things from this. 1. ALWAYS put your keys in the same place and 2. if you live in new york city, you have very little chance of getting a perfect stranger to dig his/her hand into your bag. especially if you start crying like a lunatic.

my question is this- my symptoms have been coming and going.. everyday's a little different from the one before. but the muscle fatigue? four solid days now where i can't perform tasks that require prolonged use of muscles- even opening the mail tires me out. also, last week got to the point where i couldn't type anymore... typing is kind of essential to work, so i'm a little freaked out. my arms were the first area of my body affected by the last relapse. do you suppose the fatigue is going to stick around? it's what ultimately slows us down, right? i don't want to be a 28 year old on disability, but i'm scared that i need to start researching that option. if this persists, i've got no shot at staying employed.

Muscle contraction is mediated by calcium.

Intermittant muscle fatigue is ocasionally the result of insufficient calcium or magnesium. Sometimes there is sufficient calcium but there is a problem with the way it is utilized.

The first thing to try is several glasses of milk (or if you are lactose sensitive calcium pills).

There are lots of other unpleasant reasons for muscle fatigue, but it's best to try the simplist measures first.
I don't think we can know Sunny and that is part of what makes it all so hard.  I doubt this will last but no one knows when it will improve or when it will stage a comeback.  Have the temps been rising outside?  Could it be a heat related symptom?  If so, a cooling device may help.  Do you work in a place where you can self regulate the thermostat?

I'm having extra symptoms of rapid muscle fatigue here lately too.  Labile emotions always seem to lurk when the muscles won't go.  Maybe it's the frustration.  Whatever -- I read your post and had a vivid flash of the agony of you in a near panic on the streets of NYC begging for help to accomplish a normally simple task.  It's extra hard then to take the time necessary to recover, then the fatigues comes back quicker next try, etc. etc. to vicious cycle.  I'm so sorry.  Maybe it's time to call the neuro?

Mary
yeh  mine has come  more often  now  and  cant get through the day  i take breaks through the day-
but  alot of times that  iv  they give will help get you over it quicker-
hope your better!!    tick
I have times when my arms and legs are more fatigued than usual.  Sometimes I'll be cooking, and I'll give my arms a break because I can't hold the spoon anymore to stir the pot.  Washing my hair is the same way.  

Although it seems like everything is going downhill right now, don't despair!  It does sound like you're going through a flare.  As you get more used to being in the flare as opposed to being in remission, you'll be less freaked out when everything goes sideways.  

My advice is to talk to your neuro about your fatigue.  If this is just the result of a flare, things might get back to normal.   I know many people here take drugs for fatigue, and they say they've helped.  You might talk to your neuro about your options.

The good thing is that you're in New York - I hear a lot of people get health care for free up there.
cross your fingers i'm able to continue to keep working so i don't have to test the state's health care plan!

and thanks, folks. i will be looking in to everything said.

- not-so-sunny-but-trying