Multiple Sclerosis Community
my 11 yr old son might have ms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

my 11 yr old son might have ms

my son has been having these headaches , and falling over , and we had ct san done came out normal and blood work is normal , the doctor did an mri and it showed plague on the myelination of the brain and he got weak in his right shoulder  we need to go to a nuoligeist still waiting to see when i just need to know are they the signs of ms.

thanks

i cant answer this question but i just wanted you to know you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Many like Quix are experienced on here in fact Quix is a retired childrens DR.

Sam

keeping this bumped up.
What a terrible worry for a parent - I say the best thing you can do right now is educate yourself about this disease so you can be the best possible health care advocate for your son.  Our health pages have a wealth of information - all written by MS patients here (or their caregivers).  They are located by selecting the yellow icon on the top right side of these pages.  

I hope you will stick around and ask lots of questions and keep us informed.

my best to you and your son,
Lulu
I'm so sorry to hear this.  You and your son will be in my prayers.
Your son and your family are in my prayers.
so is that asign of ms i need to know,
Angel,
Since you need this answer - yes, those could be signs of MS.  BUT they could also be signs of other problems too.  Only a doctor examining your son will be able to tell what is causing the problems.  I sure hope you get that appt. soon for your peace of mind.

Lulu
you know whats very weird i was a work tonight and i'm a waitress and i had this couple and we got to talking i love talking to people and i was tellling her about my son and she said her friend has a son at my sons age 11 and he had a stroke in the 3rd trimester just like my son and they have different issues with that but she said that  her  friends son is going through the same thing right now has my son and they told her it was ms just like the doctors think of my son and she said that my son will more likely to have it too how weird is this , because her son and my son are having the same sympoms , too weird.
angel1130
I hope you are still reading here.  I am the the pediatrician they told you about.  the symptoms your son is having are definitely things that can be seen in MS.  However, there are many other diseases in which you see those symptoms also.  You can't diagnose MS from the appearance of the MRI.

The doctors will be wanting to do a large number of blood tests and probably a spinal tap.  Children very seldom have any problems with a spinal tap.  I have done close to a thousand taps on children and never saw a complication.

So you may not have an answer for some time.

Stay with us and we will help you out with all our might.  There is good support here and lots of good information.  Your son has a wonderful mother!

Quix
I have to agree with everything you've been told here, Angel.  MS is a complicated disease.  The doc needs to review the boy's history, symptoms, and test results, and then try to rule out anything else that could cause those same things.  I'm learning that this process can take a lot longer than we'd prefer.  All the more reason to sit back and get to know us.  Quix is right (and is hardly ever wrong, from all I've seen), there is good support and lots of good information here, and also that your son does have a wonderful mother!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry to hear about your son. I agree with everything suggested so far. He really should undergo a full workup for other possible causes for his headaches and falling over, before being diagnosed with MS.

One thought from an ENT perspective is the possibility of migraine. Statistically, headaches and dizziness in a young child is most likely to be a variation of a migraine. I'm sure your neurologist is considering this already.

Good luck.
thanks
hello sorry i have'nt been around just been busy with my son he has been missing school with not feeling well he , had a headache the other day , and the other night when i put him to bed i had to left his legs and put them under the covers because he said they felt heavy , we go to hershey on the 13th i can not wait because i need to know what is going on with my son , just wanted to touch base with you all i'll let you know how things turn out. thanks for all the information you gave me.
Angel,
It is so good to see you post here - i hope you will stay in touch and keep us up to date on how your son is and how you are too.  We're good listeners here if you just want to rant or cry too.  Are you seeing a specialist in Hershey?  

my best, Lulu
Thank you sooo much for stopping by!!  I wish you didn't have to wait even until then.  Please let us help you and your son in anyway we can!

Quix
Waiting is so hard.  If you can I would call on Monday and try to get a cancellation appt sooner if you can.  Unfortunately I don't know if it will work b4 the 13th at this point.
Hang in there.  We are all here for you.  
This really can be a long process, but it definately can be other things too.

Educate yourself but don't go crazy. Just be there to help and love your son and the answers will come.

I did read somewhere that vitamin B12 deficiency can cause demylenation and weakness so google that too in you search.  Some people are born with an inability to properly process B12 for some reason (atleast that is what I understood from what I read) and people effected tend to be younger or much older.

I will pray for you.

Please stick around with us.

D
it's angel here just stoping by to give update on my son he is having bad days again he had a headache the other day and on lastnight now one today, and he is saying his legs hurt real bad he almost fell down the stairs this morning , i don't know what to do for him i mean we go this friday to hershey but i can't wait i need to know what is wrong with my baby he been through alot since birth he had a stroke before and been in therapy for the frist 5 years of his life , and in and out of hospitals because he had so much wrong , he kept passing out when he was younger in the summer months and now this i just don't want him in no more pain , please pray for him thanks alot .
angel1130
Angel,
we're all sorry to hear he is in such pain.  if it continues there is no reason why you can't take him to the ER for something for relief.  Friday can't come quick enough for you, I'm sure.

Hang in there,
Lulu
we saw the doctor today and they said it's not ms they said it's a bad case of migrane (migraine) attacks he has to take meds for along time , they said they could get better or they could get worse and they said the plague on the myelination all kids have that thats wried but thats what they said so thank you for all the prayers and kindness i got from all of you , god bless you all.
angel1130
Dear Angel,
You should see the smile on my face right now - even though migraines are nnot a happy thing, it is definitely preferred over your son having MS.  Please stop through ocassionally and let us know how he is doing with the medicinies and even more so, feel free to drop in for some support for yourself.  This will be a long haul possibly until he is feeling better.

I know Quix will have some quesitons for you when she see this  since she is a pediatrician.  She has been struggling with the flu so it may be a day or two before she sees this.  Please come back and check in soon, ok?

Congratulations on the news,
Lulu
Happy to hear that the diagnosis isn't MS. Sorry to hear your son is suffering so much.   I , too, have a child who has been chronically ill most of his life. We're awaitng confirmation of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis now so I KNOW how hard it is to watch your child suffer. Take one day at a time and trust me, you'll make it.

Wishing you and your son the best! Sending good thoughts, big hugs and lots of prayers that the migraines come under control quickly!

Rendean