Multiple Sclerosis Community
my Lumbar puncture story and MRI results

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi everyone,

I had my Lumbar puncture on the 14th of march last week. I just wanted to report on my experience for people who may have to have this done in the future. It's not great but it not terrible. My DR first warned me of the risks involved and then said we would start by trying with me lead on my left side. If this failed I would have to sit up and try that why. He tried twice with me lead down, I did feel it and it felt like someone was pinching me inside my spinal area.

The second attempt hurt and he gave me more anesthetic (I'm very sensitive or immune to anesthetic so very normal for me to get more, my dentist always has to give me more). Then he asked me to move to the seated position and first time, he got it! After that he told me to lay down and rest for an hour, so I did and chatted with my husband. I felt ok, abit sore after but I was ok. After that I was allowed to go home and rest more. I did, I put myslef on bedrest and I did not get the headache at all, I also drank lots of water and coke to help. I did feel like someone hit me across the back after, but it was no big deal and by thursday I was feeling much better.

So to sum up on the LP, its not all that bad and you get to rest in bed for the rest of the day and if you are lucky like me, your dear husband will bring you food and drinks while you watch TV :).

As for the MRI's I got hold of the discs and I now know for sure with my own eyes that I have 9 lesions in my brain and 3 lesions in my spinal cord. I also have to patchy areas in the spinal cord if you really want to see it. They don't look too bad at the moment and I am doing alot better. I get alot of pseudo attacks after I work out or if I don't drink enough water or if I don't get enough sleep. The symptoms are minor though, just "pulsing" (anyone know what I mean?) its the weird buzzing feeling. I get it in my legs, feet and hands sometimes. and I get some numbness in my fingertips too.

I spoke to the Neuro when I was there about the fact that I have already ticked enough boxes for it to be MS (two attacks seperated in time and more than two lesions seperated in space). He said yes he has enough to diagnose me but needs to do the full work up with the blood tests and the LP. My next meeting is the 11th of April and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get clinically definite MS. I'm starting to cope with this better but sometime I still feel down over it or break down. Sometimes I ask stupid questions like why me?, or feel guilty for what this is/will do to my husband and family. I feel very sorry for him and them..... Anyway, sorry I drone just seemed to have alot to tell you all :) hope everyone is going great!!
Dear Bubbles,
First , I'm glad your LP went well for you!
Second, do not apologize for your feelings, at least not here. We have ALL felt like you do. Why me? Poor hubby and kids! But, it's been my experience that when all the dust settles, everyone understands the disease and how it affects your daily routine and then they adjust.

It's not fun. It's not pleasant. But, it's a process all of us have been through and we are here to support you. Do not worry about droning on. You  need to vent and share and we are here for you.

Just take it one day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time and in the tough moments, one minute at a time.

Hugs,
Ren
Bubbles, it sounds like you have already started the emotional roller coaster ride - the ups and downs of livingwith a chronic disease.  

The neuro has to run all the blood tests to make sure it isn't lupus, or lymes, or sarcodois or any of the other mimics of MS.  It sounds like he is being very thorough, and you obviously have, too.  You''ve done a lot of homework and all that knowledge is useful in having an intelligent conversation with him in april.

I'm always glad to read about the good experiences with the LP - tey help to counter balance the nightmares many people seem to have.

stay in touch, ok?
Lulu
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! I'm really glad to have found such a friendly and helpful forum with such lovely people :)

Also just a side note if anyone read this and got freaked out. I swear the LP was not bad!!! Some people don't even feel it and I think that is normal. I was very scared about doing it but now its over I know its not that bad and if it had to be done again to the future I wouldn't be scared. I did feel it but it wasn't bad at all and over very fast AND you get to rest for the whole day after doctors orders! thats not all that bad right?