Multiple Sclerosis Community
natural medicinal aids

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

natural medicinal aids

Just curious if any of you have tried supplements, herbs, etc as part of your regimen or in place of your DMD? I understand the need for DMD and other medications, I'm just curious about this topic- no one seems to talk much about it. To be honest, I'm growing a fear of DMD and I'm not sure why, not sure if i want to go on them or not. And I'm nit one to be a supplement junkie- I fully support pharmaceuticals and supplements...these just really make me nervous. Thanks for input.
I find it to vary from person to person.  Some perfer the natural route and others not.

I try to go the holistic way with illnesses but at the same time Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating illness that progresses over time and some medication have a wonderful effect on these type of diseases.  Not all meds are the greatest but when it prevents a disease from progressing it becomes crucial.  

When looking at holistic ways and going the more natural route with herbs and supplements I believe it to help and assist in the symptoms of the disease.  

Everyone looks at this differently but you are one person and you do what you want for your body.  Everyone is unique!

I'm sure others will give their personal thoughts also :)

Best of luck to you and wellness your way!
Valarie
I'll be completely honest, I hate being on the DMD. I would prefer a holistic approach myself, but I feel there's too much to lose on this one. Plus there are a lot of ways to still include the holistic approach with the DMD such as diet, acupuncute, ect. I try the natural remedies when I can, but like I said I'm too scared not to be on the DMD.

I would say atleast try them before you get scared of them. They are very powerful drugs but they have to help fight a very powerful disease. Don't assume your going to feel bad on them, and if you do on one talk to your doctor about it. The first one I tried was Rebif and I didn't have a good experience with it. Other than itching and welts, I do good on the Copaxone.

Main point being... it's up to you how to treat your disease, it's your body and no one elses. At the same time, there are many people who have issues with one drug and not the other. So if you do try and you have a bad experience with one it doesn't mean you'll have a bad experience with all of them.

Hope you figure it out, but before making up your mind listen to the people that have more experience with it than I do. : )
Well, I hate the meds also.......but am very thankful for them too.  Even if you think you are stable or getting better, you could still be developing active lesions.  Sneaky.  
I take a bunch of supplements - fish oil, evening primrose oil, multi, CoQ10. calcium and magnesium,  zyflamend (tested anti-inflamatory made by New Chapter),  DHEA, biotin, and I think something else,- but can't think of it.  
Also think that herbal infusions are good.  I try to have at least a quart a week of nettle, red clover, dandelion,or oak straw tea (some brewed together).  If you are interested in herbal stuff, check out Susun Weed's web site.
Good luck to you !  Marcia

Some great comments here and it is definitely an individual choice. I am thankful I have the DMDs available for treatmnet, having seen an aunt live a long life with MS and what it did to her back when no treatments were available.  

You might consider a mixed approach - complimentary therapies instead of alternative therapies can be useful. before you add herbs and other supplements, do your research and be sure to let your doctors know.  There are some interactions that can be serious, including negating the effectos of both.  A common example I can use is not an MS drug, but heart meds - the blood pressure meds almost always have warning to not take grapefruit, g-jiuce or even supplements with grapefruit in it.  Who would think grapefruit could cause a roblem like this?

Good luck with proceeding - you are asking all the right questions and only you know how much you are willing to risk by not treating your MS agressively.
best, L