Multiple Sclerosis Community
neuro-ophthalmologist vs. normal ophthalmologist

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Since I've been having more visual symptoms (blurriness in the afternoon and evenings on hot days) my neuro is sending me to a neuro-ophthalmologist.  I went to an optomatrist in January for an exam after the first visual disturbance (double vision + blurriness).  My neuro sent me to an ophthalmologist that has some interest and experience in neuro-ophthalmology but is a normal ophthalmologist.  He did a very thorough exam and a lot of tests.  We found some mild loss of color vision in one eye and he did a visual field test that had some mild weird things but was within the normal range.

I'm wondering what to expect.  Will it be about the same as a normal ophthalmolagist visit but they just know more in terms of interpreting the situation?  I'm wondering what to expect.   Any insight?
I think the big difference between a neuro-opthamologist and an opthamologist is a neuro-opthamologist is educated more in problems with the eyes due to neurological reasons. They are more educated in neurological disease that effect the eye like MS.
Hi Margaretta,

I've not been to one, but wanted to say hello to you if I haven't done so.  I'm Shelly, and hope you are finding your way around here well.

How are you feeling otherwise? You lined up for the appt. yet?  I hope it's they get you in quickly.

Thanks for coming our way,
Shelly