Multiple Sclerosis Community
neuropsych exam

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

neuropsych exam

Has anyone had a neuropsych exam?  Wondering what it's like and what it diagnoses before I have it.
Thanks,
J
Hi!  

They have described one type of neuro psych appointment - the other would be an extensive battery of tests that are used to measure your cognitive abilities.  It is used as a baseline for future measures -especially if you are looking for SSDI approval. This test is usually done over two days and is mentally exhausting.

Which type do you think has been recommendeD?

be well,
Lulu

Hi there, I had one just a few weeks ago. It would appear (as I posted the same question) they can all be very different. I had been asked to take my husband with me and really it was just a along talk over what had happened and what my life was like and work and family. She was trying to see if my symptoms could be related to stress or anxiety this would mean they had a "functional" cause as opposed to a "organic" cause. As it was she did not beleive that I was stressed or anxious and has reported back to the neurologist explaining this. She has also made an appointment for 3 to 4 months to see how I am coping with the symptoms I am experiencing. I was very dubious going to this appointment, as I thought I may be labelled as having a mental heath issue as none of the tests that had been done have shown enough to dx me but this was not the case, I glad I did. I can officially say Iam not Psycho!

This link should go to my original post
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Neuro---pyschological-assessment-What-to-expect/show/1278646?personal_page_id=1122871#post_5870702
Hi J,  Many people go through the psych. exam.  Like twist said, it will be in informal conversation.  Just be yourself and let her know how you feel when she asks.  

Good luck,  let us know how it goes

Red
Hi!  

be well,
Lulu

My neuropsych exam was not a conversation.  They took a very brief history regarding why I was sent there, but it wasn't a talk therapy process at all.

It consisted of over 5 hours of testing everything from memory to IQ to visual processing to manual dexterity to math skills and loads of other things. They were trying to see if I had any cognitive deficits, and if so what kind of pattern they followed.

Then I had a follow up about 6 weeks later to go over all the results.
my neuro said it would be around 8 hours and it should show how the different parts of my brain are working / not working.  it should help me put the dots together with what is going on with my body.  i'm really would like to know what he is looking for (or what direction he thinks those dots may lead us when they're all connected).  
thanks for the info...
I met with the psychiatrist to evaluate my need for a neuro-psych first, and then we scheduled the neuro-psych exam itself.  It took about six hours, with a break for lunch.

My results showed mild cognitive impairment, and they recommended Aricept to help me think a little more clearly.  It helped!  I took it for five months, until I felt more like myself.
Aloha!

I was soooo happy to have my testing done. It showed the Dr. years ago something was wrong. My results showed cognitive impairment and unable to use executive functioning and the impairment in my hands.

It took 2 days of testing but it was worth it. I recommend it to all MS patients.