Multiple Sclerosis Community
no reflex?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

no reflex?

What does zero reflex mean? Not good? My foot doesn't move at all when tested and the neurologist seemed concerned and tested it several times in several positions, so I am wondering what that is.... I already wear AFO's so I know my feet have problems. I think I asked this question a long time ago, when my feet still had a tiny reflex but I don't remember the answer and my googling skills at this time of night after 9 hours of work is seriously lacking. Any help medhelpers?
Thanks a ton!!!
~Sunnytoday~
Zero reflex means...  drum roll... that there is no connection to the brain.  It's what the neurologists call a 'no-brainer!'  The neurologist raps on your knee with a little hammer, and the nerves send that signal back to the spine, which goes to the brain.  The brain sends a signal back down to move the leg.  If the leg doesn't move, it means that there is a disruption of the signal.

I have this in my right leg.  My neurologist seemed a lot less concerned than yours!  I had to look all this up online... sigh.
ahhhh.... thanks for the help!
Perhaps that is what brought on the gazillons of nerve tests from the neurologist. he certianly rolled out the red carpet for tests (see other post) after he started rapping on my feet with this little hammer. I personally am less concerned than he is... I am so used to it anymore and with my handy braces I get around pretty decent. hmph, that almost sounded sarcastic, oops. For someone who's feet dont work, I should be worried. Sheesh.
~Sunnytoday~
Nothing to do with the issue at hand but I am sure glad to see you posting again.

Smiles,  terry
It's certainly an indication of nerve damage, maybe even something going on in the spine, so it's a good thing that he's looking at it so closely.
I have a missing nerve relex in my legs.  The SSEP can help doctors identify the area in the spine/brain that are affected.  Of course, even if they know where to look they may not see anything.  As is my case.  However, it is good for the doctors to know that the absence of a nerve response is real.

My consulting neuro ordered a second SSEP because he couldn't believe the abnormal results of the first SSEP test with the missing wave.  So I had a second SSEP at his facility/teaching hospital.  This was 6 months after the first and at a point when I was doing a lot better.  Sure enough, no nerve reflex.  And the other nerves that were there were even more slow.

I find that doctors respect the SSEP results.  It may not give an answer but it confirms something that can't be seen.
I have really brisk reflexes in both legs, especially the dodgy left one but no reflexes in either foot (normal foot or the dodgy left one), the Doctor at the muscularskeletal clinic here told me it might be just me and I might be oddly wired...??? perhaps it's too many pedicures...

Val
I recall some months ago a member from Australia talking about  diminished reflexes and ADEM.  Maybe a search...often ADEM is a MS mimic.

I love that you're so strong with all you're going through - you're an inspiration!

Guitar_grrrl
When I went in to see my PCP and she tested my reflexes, they were pretty much absent, definitely on the right where I'm having all the nerve pain.  She redid the test, having me distract myself by hooking the fingers of my hands together and pulling.

I should get my chart notes from her to give to my new neurologist; see if he thinks it's anything.  Many of my neuro exams were similar, but none of my neuros ordered a SSEP, probably because i didn't have any weakness.  

Kathy
I am a 40 year old black woman I was diagnose with ms when I was 26. I had no reflex then and I still don't why doctor act like thats  not a symptoms. When that give extra tests on top of regular tests and still look crazy. I having more problems now. sent I turn 40. Is there some1 out there can help me get it 2gther?
Hi Ms Lynch,

Welcome to our forum. The discussion you found is an old one and I'm afraid not as many members will see you here at the bottom of this one.

If you can, please copy what you typed here and then click on the green "post a question" on the page and then paste your text and then post it.

If you have troubles doing that, I'll do it for you. Just let me know by saying so. I'm so sorry you are worse now then you were when originally dx'd. You've had MS for a long time and hope we can be a source of support and information for you now.

-Shell