Multiple Sclerosis Community
numbness in hands and feet while sleeping

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hello all

I've recently been experiencing numbness in my hands and feet while sleeping. I often wake up with a completely numb foot or numb hands and have to "shake it off" to get them to return to normal. Initially I thought carpal tunnel or something mechanical in my arms, but then my left foot started going numb at night too, so now I have no idea.

I'm definitely not cutting off circulation, usually just lying on my back, side or front (it can happen in any position).

I'm not too concerned, given that I can 'shake it off' and it doesn't stay around after that, but I'm curious if anyone experiences something similar?

(full disclosure: I'm not diagnosed with MS but I'm getting an MRI at the end of the month due to symptoms such as allodynia [skin sensitivity], trigeminal neuralgia, other parasthesias and muscle twitches, fainting and heat-triggered symptoms [such as pain and heaviness in legs after a hot bath]. Very general symptoms basically).
I had this symptom from vitamin B12 deficiency due to autoimmune pernicious anaemia.  I had to shake my leg or arm for the longest time to get feeling back into it.  It would really make me freak out a bit sometimes at how numb it was.  Eventually my whole left arm went numb 24/7. Thankfully i have a lot of feeling back after a year of B12 treatment but it do have permanent nerve damage.
I wake with my right leg unable to move...period.  I have to push it off the bed with my left foot then position it with my hands on the floor in order to be able to stand.  After I am up for an hour or so some movement comes back..at least enough where I can position it without my hands in order to be able to stand up.

Also during a horrible flare last  year, I would wake unable to move ANY limbs.  It would take about fifteen minutes before I could get out of the recliner.  I was sleeping in it because my husband travels and happened to be out of town.  To think of using my bed would have been impossible.

So yes, it can be a sign of MS.
Given how quickly this dropped three pages I'm guessing that it's not very common with forum members!