Multiple Sclerosis Community
partial numbness in right thumb

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

partial numbness in right thumb

Hi-
I am a 45 year old male in good general health. I was at work on the computer about 4 days ago and had a slight tingling sensation in my right thumb (which is what I use to control the mouse). I noticed the inside part of my knuckel area on my right thumb went numb, about the size of a quarter. Four days later it is not quite as numb, but still feels wierd to the touch, like I got a shot of novacane. I have no pain. I am so very concerned that this could be an early sign of MS. This is my only symptom. My sister was diagonsed with MS 25 years ago. Can someone please advise me.
Welcome to the MS Forum.  We are glad you found us, to post your question.  I am so sorry to hear about your sister.  How is she doing health wise after so many years with MS?

The symptoms you are having in your hand as I mentioned in another post, could be coming from a compressed nerve anywhere from your cervical spine even from your shoulder, elbow nerve compression or compression in the hand, such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.  

From what you say about your occupation, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a real possibility.  Mind you this is just my opinion, having been through this very same thing myself.  But it's just an opinion.  

It's always worth a visit to your doctor's office to discuss what you are feeling with him.  I totally understand your fears, since your sister has MS that you would believe that this could be very early MS.

I am sure that others will be along soon, with their suggestions and opinion, but nothing will take the place of a consultation with your doctor.

Best Wishes,
Heather
Thanks for your response. What worries me about this numb sensations is that it does not change with the position of my hand or arm. It is very constant.

After 25 years with MS, my sister is doing relatively ok. She has problems with balance and gait, but can walk without assistance. This week she has optic neuroitis. And of course she always has fatigue. She has never been on any therapies. She won't take the ABC drugs. She says they make her feel sicker. So she just deals with it. It is not always easy to watch, and makes me really worried about my future, if this is MS.

Do you know anyone who had initial symptoms very localized like mine?
From what I have read and heard usually it is not so localized.  I would look into carpal tunnel as heather suggests. Tahiri
Thanks Tahiri. I thought so too, but I am looking for other opinions. Its just that the constant numbness is really freightening me, especially because I have no real pain, only occasional slight discomfort in my wrist.

Thanks for responding.

By the way, I want everyone to know that after 25 years of MS, my sister leads a full and happy life. She has two wonderful children, and is an amazing artist. She is also generally a very happy person.
We get a lot of people coming onto the forum with various symptoms and I would say that we have never had anyone with so small an area of disturbed sensation as you are describing.  

Since you have a sister with MS, your chance of developing it goes from about 1 in 750 to about 1 in 40 or so.  This translates to about a 2.5% chance.  This numbness is really frightening to you, and I suspect you know that no one can say much about it.  Could MS begin with such a minor symptom?  Of course, but it is very unlikely, given the kind of disease it is.  

But, rather than sit with your worry, I recommend that you get the hand checked out.  I don't believe that all carpal tunnel symptoms are only positional.  There are tests to check for normal nerve conduction. And, if your doc thought it was advisable, you could get an MRI of your brain.

It is really hard to allay someone's fears when they know the disease and know that their chances of getting it are higher.  Maybe others will chime in with thier experience.

Good luck,

Quix, MD (unofficial and not a neurologist)
Dear Quix-
Thanks for your thoughtful insight. Your words are somewhat reassuring, but you are right, so I am going to see a neurologist.

Best Regards
JJ
Funny that you came along with this symptom!  This is how an episode started for me.  It started out on the right thumb and just the tip, than about a month later it moved to my left thumb and shortly there after my entire left hand felt numb.  I went to my dr and she dx me with carpal tunnel and gave me naproxe and had to wear a brace.  Ended up being allegic to the naproxen.  A few weeks later I woke up to my left side being numb from my waist down.  Went to urgent care where they dx me with a pinched nerver!  I wasn't in any pain but still numb a couple of days later.   Called my dr and went back to see her.  She then said that it wasn't a pinched nerve because I had no pain and came up with the fact that I may have MS.  I than started the whole process of tests and MRIs.  I was dx in June '06.
I agree with everyone else that you should go see your dr and make sure they know that your sis has MS.  I am also glad to hear that after 25 years your sister is doing well.

Hope you stick around and let us know what happens.  Glad you found us and know that we are here for ya!

Debra
I too have the same symptom... I was BBQ'n then all of a sudden my right thumb started going numb but only the top part of my thumb.., I stopped everything I was doing and sat down to rest... It's been 8hrs now and I feel the numbness is starting to spread... I'm really scared and I have high blood pressure... Can that be the case?
Since the numbness is spreading, rather than going away, see if you can get in to your doctor's office on Monday to have it checked out.  It could easily be a compressed nerve or carpal tunnel.

If your thumb gets discolored or seems to have a circulation problem, then go to the ER.