Multiple Sclerosis Community
positive romberg test

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

positive romberg test

In my post from Aug.30 telling about my disappointing Mellen center appt, I asked about a test where you close your eyes with your feet together.  I just found it on the internet and it is called a romberg test. As soon as I closed my eyes, I fell very quickly and unexpectedly  to the floor, with the doctor standing several feet away from me unable to catch me and prevent the fall.  How many of you with MS have a positive Romberg and is it commonly seen in MS???  Dr. S at the center wasn't too worried about it!!!!
I heard about your disappointing visit.  I'm so sorry.   Oy.  I'm not sure how the Romberg fits in with MS.  I've not been diagnosed with anything.  YET.  I'm still clinging with white knuckles!!  

It just seems incredibly ODD to me that your examining doctor wouldn't be at the ready when administering the Romberg test.  Do you know what I mean?  It is hthe test where, if you DON'T pass it, you FALL.  Or at least wobble.  So, why wasn't she prepared to catch you, or at least standing nearby?

STRANGE!  I don't get it.    It seems she should be if not worried about it, at least impressed by its implications.  I don't get it.  

I am truly sorry she seemed to blow you off in that way.  I honestly don't know what to say.  I bet Quix is just as frustrated!  I say we add her to the weenie roast, Craig.  No other reasonable solution.    Any other "signs"  she noted?

Momzilla (Chris)*
Wow,  I can't believe your doc. let you fall.  They know if you fail then your gonna fall. "duh"  

My neuro. did'nt do the test but she did ask me if I closed my eyes or was in a completely dark room, could I keep my balance?  I am like you, I would fall.  I'm not sure what this has to do with MS but it is another balance issue which does go with MS.  

I'll be praying,
Carol
When you say you fall, do you fall straight down? Or to the side? Backwards?  I tend to fall backwards when my eyes are closed. In the dark I hold onto things so I don't fall.

I have had a really difficult time in church when we have to stand and close our eyes for prayer! I hang on to the pew in front of me. I just thought this was because I was dizzy! Didn't know there was a name for it.

L
I don't know if this is relavent but besides failing the test, I find that I have to "think straight".  If I start to lean forward while walking, with eyes open, my right leg buckles.
m