rebif & pregnancy
Has anyone been on Rebif and gone off it to get pregnant? If so how long were you off Rebif for before you started trying for a baby?
I have not been on Rebif, but I have read that you should wait at least 1 month preferrably 3.  I would definetly wait the 3 months just to make sure.
  Tahiri
Do you know if i can stop rebif cold turkey or have to be weened off? No doctors seem to know this information!
I don't know off hand.  I can't find anything that would suggest one way or the other.  I would ask the doctor that put you on rebif. I do know that if you are on neurontin for the pain you do have to taper off of that.  I hope this helps.  And maybe someone else who has a little more experience will also pop in and suggest something.
  Tahiri
Hi there! Welcome!

I went off of Rebif and did not wean, just stopped.  I experienced no problems doing so.  I did not stop for pregnancy though, was due to an allergic reaction to 1 of my meds.  I was off for over 7 months and just started back up.

How long you been on it?  Shouldn't be a problem going off of it at all.  From what I understand you still are protected by the meds when you go off for a few months afterward. You just need to know the 1/2 life of the med, etc., to make sure it's out of your system.

HOw are you feeling with your MS?

ttys,
Shell

i have been on rebif for 6yrs. I am finally getting in to see a neurologist in a couple of days time who specialises in MS and pregnancy. Apparently he does alot of speeches on the topic. I was planning to try for a baby in febuary but not have been told i need to also get vaccinated against chicken pox before getting pregnant. We cannot get certain vaccinations while on Rebif and this is one. I will tell you all what the neurologist says to me so hopefully i can help others also.

thanks for your response and help, i really appreciate it :)
I am curious as to why you have to be vaccinated against the chickenpox.  Have you never had it?  Also even if you haven't why do you need the vaccination?  I am just curious as this is a vaccination I have never had although I did have chicken pox when I was little.  It is also a vaccination that I am chosing not to get my children, so I am curious why your doctor would say that it is necessary.
Tahiri
Id rather not get it but my GP said because i have not had it as a child and have no immunity to it that it would be dangerous to get while pregnant. I cannot get the vaccine while on Rebif as it can a)not work and b)make me sick... apparently its a live vaccine so it can give me a small dose of the chicken pox ewww... i really dont want to get it if its not necessary or if its going to make me sick?
Im seeing a doctor soon who specialises more in this sort of thing so i guess ill see what he says... i hope he says i dont need it!!
After you told me I did some research.  I would make sure you do your own research before you just go ahead with it.  Let me know how your new doctor decides.
I was taking Avonex (another interferon beta 1a) and my MS specialist said I could quit cold turkey.  My neurologist suggested waiting three months but my MS specialist said only one month was necessary.  I ended up stopping my Avonex in mid-August and was lucky to get pregnant exactly one month later.  I'm 10 weeks and have seen a strong heartbeat.  I wish you the best and hope you have a blissful pregnancy and healthy baby!!
I saw my neuro today (a new one, and much better), he said i can stop rebif cold turkey and im stopping as of now! yay! He also said its important to get the chicken pox vaccination as i have no immunity to it (did not have it as a child) and it can be very harmful to the baby when pregnant. I am booking in for that in a week and then he said i can start trying for a baby soon after. He said alot of other things too which helped me so much and put my mind at rest finally!
I have been on Rebif  for 5 months and got pregnant.... Donot know what to do I really donot want to harm the baby or put myself at risk! What to do I am scared....
I posted an answer to your question on this.

Quix