Multiple Sclerosis Community
relationship between Multiple Sclerosis and Psoriasis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi..
My dad was diagnosed with  Multiple Sclerosis over 30 years ago.. I have had Psoriasis my whole life (34 years), mild and mainly scalp.
Can anyone tell me if this is related? I have read the Multiple Sclerosis is hereditary, is the Psoriasis an indicator?
Thank you
I think the only relationship between MS and Psoriasis is their possible origins within the immune system.  It's possible (for a very unfortunate person) to have both but I don't think it would be expected.

Having a parent with MS probably places you at a small increased risk of developing the disease but there are many factors believed to be at play.  There is no direct hereditary link that I'm aware of.

I hope others here who have a much longer history can confirm that for you.

Mary
I have MS and my son was diagnosed with psoriasis at age 13.  
My dad was diagnosed w/ MS over 25 yrs ago..he is now PPMS. I am 37 and was diagnosed 6 mos ago. I have 5 other sisters who are perfectly healthy, so I don't know why I was the "lucky" one. I have read that a family member with MS is more likely to get it but they don't know why. I wouldn't worry that you will get this. Know one knows why some get it and some don't.
hi my mother had ms she was diagnosed when i was 10 and passed away when i was 18, when i turned 21 i developed psoriasis and arthritis my sister also has psoriasis my brother was diagnosed 14 years ago with ms and i was also diagnosed with ms last year i am now 39 i have 2 other brothers who have no illnesses i was told if a parent has it then theres a  small chance you will get it just the same as other diseases we are all different i know theres definetly something in my familys immune system with all our immune illnesses just wish we could find a cure for it all the best with your health in the future.  
I was diagosned with psoriatic arthritis 2yrs ago, I also have Graves dz that was diagnosed about 15yrs ago. Both are considered to be an auto-immune disease. The symptoms between arthritis and ms can be similiar. I'm now experiencing symptoms of MS. I asked my rheumatologist if it was possible to have both, he said it was rare but possible. He said once you have one auto autoimmune dz it is likely to get another. I have dealt with headaches for years, I get areas of numbness though out my body, I'm heat intolerant, especially after a hot shower or bath. I've been dealing with urinary problems for years, though I have never talked about it. My body tents to twitch and my hand tent to shake at times and lord knows I'm always tired (I can sleep 16 out 24 hours) I also have difficulty consentrating, my muscles are weak and my joints hurt and also swell. Some days I can barely get out of bed. My doctor is sending me for an MRI, that will be in about two weeks, and I will see my doctor at the end of the month. My mother, brother, sister and I all have psoriasis, though mine is mild. No one in the family has thyroid problems though. So it will be intersting to see how this all turns out for me. I will keep you posted and let you know how this all turns out for me. Thanks MM
I have a dx of MS and Psoriasis.

LA
  I am 76, I have spms and psoriasis.  I am a medi/medi insurance and do not know where to go.  My gp is a visiting doctor and every thing he trys,  I am allergic to. I am very sensitive to oral medications and no better with topical.  I am very sensitive to anything with mineral oil or any form of petrolatum. I really need help.
Welcome to the group here.  I can't offer any advice but want you to know I saw your question.  Hopefully someone else will come through and be able to give you some ideas.