Multiple Sclerosis Community
right leg weakness, foot drop

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

right leg weakness, foot drop

I have been suffering from Foot drop on my right foot for the last 4 months now. I am observing a weakness on my right leg too. My physiotheraphist found out that I have a weakness on my right hand too. I have no pain at all on any of those body parts. Neurologist (specialist) did 2 MRI s, one at the back and the other at the right lower part of the leg which is between the knee and the ankle. As per the neurologist both look normal. as per him I should recover the foot drop automatically one day. Do I have to take a scan on my brain too. what do you suspect..thx much.
Hi and welcome to the forum.  What you are describing would cause me some concern, too.  If only the one nerve (the peroneal nerve causing the foot drop) was affected, it might seem okay to wait out the resolution of the drop.  However, it seems that you are seeing progressive weakness in the same leg and now weakness in your right hand.  Does the hand show weak grasp, weak pinch, wrist drop or what?

Are you right-handed?

You have foot-drop, but can you rise up on your toes while standing?  Do you get cramps in your muscles?

Could MS present this way?  Yes, it could, but so could other things.

Do you know what your tendon reflexes are like in your right leg compared with your left leg?  What about the reflexes in your arms?  Are they different, reduced or hyperactive?

My professional, non-neurologist opinion is that with progressive weakness occurring the doctors can't afford the luxury of just waiting for this to resolve.

I would think that the tests that might be needed would include EMG/NVS testing of the peripheral nerves of your right leg and your right arm.  This is testing of the health of the muscles and of the intactness of the motor nerves that innervate the lower leg and hand.  The Nerve Condluction Velocity Studies would probably be the most important.

I would think an MRI of the brain would be in order also.  If the tendon reflexes are hyperactive then an MRI of the spinal cord would be appropriate.  An LP might be useful also.

There are so many things that can cause neuropathies.  What you are describing is a "pure motor" neuropathy in that it has only affected muscles.  This means it is only affecting the nerves that carry signals from the brain out to the muscles.  Sensory neuropathies affect the nerves that carry sensation from out in the body/skin back to the brain and cause problems like pain, numbness, pins and needles, etc - which you don't have.

Now, I am bringing up one condition that may or may not be appropriate for your condition.  This is MMN - Multifocal Motor Neuropathy, a immune-mediated condition that affects multiple motor groups, asymmetrically, usually first in the hands and feet.  It may then progress in toward the body.  This fits with your having the problem only on one side.

You can google

multifocal motor neuropathy

Again, I may be way off, but with the condition progressing, I do not see the sense in trying to wait it out.  I always was pretty aggressive about this kind of thing, though.  I would think the next level of testing, EMG/NCV at least, is pretty important.  If the EMG?NCV is negative, then it means this is probably not a peripheral nervous system problem, like MMN, and you would start looking at the central nervous system for things like MS.

Could it be something that just arrived and will go away?  I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

I hope this helped,

Quix