Multiple Sclerosis Community
sometimes I wonder

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

sometimes I wonder

That's right I oftion wonder if we really have it that bad I know that I'm in the frist step's of this ms crud but after seeing a friend of mine that had, had 2 strokes and comes up here every summer and is in his 70's that we help out with as we can, and to see him on his knees trying to get up from falling down and had been there for an hour without any help at all till we got there and found him sitting on his knees waiting for help so he could just get up and get to his home, if we didn't come by too check up on him as we where passing by and desided to stop in and check up on him and get him home if he would have died from the cold weather

But now I know that there is more too life then just the pain  and many other things that we go though in are daily lives, that we can't just stop and pitty are selfs as we just need to look around at others that are worth in shape then some of us. But yet we talk about the pain and problems that we have but yet to stop and think that we are that ownly one's when there are so many others out there that need help as well that we just can't take the time to think of them as we all know that we are going though differant problems dose not mean that we can't help out others with there's

Cowboy
That is so true. I read a local readerboard the other day that said  "Do not look down on others, unless you are giving them a hand up" It really made me think. We all grieve for the lives we once had, or planned to have, but life interferes. We can let that grief overwhelm us to the point that we focus our whole existence just on our own pain and suffering, or accept it and make us stronger, and more open to sharing life with others. I think it is normal, especially when a person is in chronic physical pain all the time, to forget that we can do things to make other peoples lives better .Even if it is just sharing experiences so that others can know that they are not alone. As well as helping in practical ways, even if it's grocery shopping, babysitting for a couple with a new baby, or whatever else we can do.

As a widow one of my worries is of falling and not being able to get up, especially falling down my flight of 14 concrete steps coming home from work late at night. I would be there until the next day I'm sure. Not having anyone at home waiting for you can be very scary at times, when you think of all of the things that can happen. Or worry about becoming disabled with no-one to help provide the practical care to stay in my own home. Ooops, there I go worrying again.  

God bless you for helping your neighbor. He's lucky to have such a caring friend.

Maggie
  Thanl you just for thinking off others, I know we have a hard life as it is but I feel that even so that we can help others in there batlle for life and try to be indpendence from help, but we all know that it is not all way's the case.

Cowboy
I guess that you could say that with each disorder that people suffer from that each of us carries our own burdens and pain.  Of course there will always be people that are worse off than ourselves.  It's been that way since th beginning of time.

Your post helps to remind me, that this world is not all about ME and what I go through everyday with this dumb disease called MS.  There are many that are much worse off than myself and your post reminds me to keep thinking of that.  Hopefully in my deepest darkest hours of pain and despair, I can think of those that have it much worse than I do.

Thank you for your post.  It's a thought-provoking post.  I am glad that you reminded all of us.  

At least with the MS that I have, I have this forum and all it's members to lean on for support and courage to make it through yet another day.

Best Wishes,
Heather
You said it Cowboy! It's what picks me up off my fanny each day sometimes, can always be worse I say.  

I'm very, very thankful for all we have here w/each other too.  Not everyone has this, and not to this capacity!

be well,
SL
It is all a matter of perspective.  Not sure if you have felt much of the pain that can be caused from MS.  It can be quite terrible.  Some are luckier than others.
Yes, it is all a matter of perspective.  Craig is in a pretty angry and bitter phase right now.  Angry that he can't make it walking through Home Depot without his legs locking up in pain and spasms.  Angry that people tell him he looks fine, what's the problem.

Angry that he is not being given access to DMD's since he does not have a diagnosis.

I think everyone has their own phases they go through.  

I am glad that Cowboy has compassion to help his neighbor.  That neighbor is a lucky man.

Elaine
I have to agree with all of you really...Cowboy in that there is always someone out there that is worse off than us...Michael in that sometimes we with MS just can't help because we ARE the one that is worse off than others...Elaine in that we do go through our different phases and these phases can be crippling all on their own!

I know that I was in the health care field and caring for seniors was part of my job and I HATE seeing seniors holding the door open for ME cause I have a cane and they don't!

My Mother is 80 years old and I had to care for her recently after she had day surgery and I have to tell you that it was darn hard and it was made harder because I was in worse physical shape than she was after her being under anaesthesia and having surgery!

Most of you have been very supportive of my "phases" and for that I will be forever grateful but I can't say that it won't happen again!  Our bodies do things that are so frustrating and make us feel so helpless and then when the medical community has turned their backs on us I think it is completely understandable.

I think that what it boils down to is that people are generally kind and giving of themselves if they are able and even if they are not able physically those people are giving emotionally.  Michael, you have given so much of yourself through your kind words...they certainly brought me out of a funk in a time of need!

I certainly hope that we as a group can continue to help each other through our phases and our funks and that no one passes judgement on us because of our disabilities...we have proven that we are a group of good people with good values and a lot of love and caring to spread around!

I would like to tip my fishing hat to all of you because you certainly deserve it!

Loves ya,

Rena
I agree with your sentiments.  When I get down in the dumps, and dwell on things like:

being told recently that my MS is 'very active';
I still have double vision after 7 months;
I haven't been able  to drive since Sept;
I'm currently off DMD's due to liver issues;
I might have to do chemo (Novantrone) soon;
wondering if I could and should have been diagnosed sooner;
just the plain fact of having MS in the first place,

I then remind myself:

I'm not dying.
I can walk.  
I can look after myself.  
I'm not blind.  
My meds are at no cost to me (when I can go back on them).  
If I lose some hair from treatment, it will grow back (plus, I have VERY thick hair!).  
I got diagnosed a LOT faster than most people.  
There are much worse diagnoses than MS.  
I'm not alone.
I'm not lonely.  
I have a ton of support.  
I have a home that I'm not at any risk of losing.  
I have a job to go back to and a very compassionate employer.
And while I'm off work, I have income protection.    

So I remember all of that, and then I think, who am I to complain?  I know things could be so much worse, and I honestly do think about that every single day.  Even when I'm in pain and walking into walls and dropping dishes and tripping on the dog and worrying about what tomorrow will bring.  I can't take for granted all that I have, no matter what happens.

db
You have a good attitude honey and please know that I am sure like my dog...your dog doesn't mind you tripping on him...tee hee

Rena
My point was not that we are worse off.  I was simply pointing out to Cowboy that though he noticed that some folks have it worse than some of here that there are pleny of folks stuck in wheelchairs or flat on their back or in a lot, lot of  pain.

I agree we need to not focus on self, that looking to help others is important.  I cannot let my self be blind in both eyes to the many homeless folks in Detroit.  I am quite a bit more fortunate in many respects.  Heck, we all have access to computers so we all can communicate.  Many of the folks living on the streets and under highway overpasses struggle to get basic neccesities.  Some have children living with them.  I am not about to count myself as one of the unfortunate.
Hi Michael...I know what you meant my dear...I just meant that sometimes we with MS can't physically help all the time but we are capable of helping others in different ways like you did me with the "Nicest Thing Anyone Has Ever Said To Me" and it is still on my Profile and will be for evermore because it was the nicest thing.  You do that for so many on here and I imagine in life...please don't get me wrong honey.

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
You're so right, not only do my dogs not mind me tripping on them, but they then proceed to console me and give me kisses.  Dogs are really the most selfless souls.  I forgot to add them to the list of what I'm grateful for.  They fit into the "I'm not alone/not lonely" category.

db
  I know that we all have are moments and that will never change, it's just the way things are. I know the pain that I go though as well but I'm still willing to help others when I can and I'm glad that I was there to help and I too had been in that spot myself

But it is good to see that we are not a lone, I know I don't tell all about me and what I go though all the time but I do tend to try and help the older ppl here as we all have bad times

Cowboy