Multiple Sclerosis Community
spasms and spasticity in leg

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

spasms and spasticity in leg

I used to think my left foot was numb but my wife actually figured out this past weekend that when I feel numbness in my foot, it is having a spasm.  If she rubs it out, the spasm and the numbness goes away.  This almost always happens when I straighten my leg.  Also, my calf muscle in my left leg is almost always tight now, like a constant cramp and I can't get it to relax.  Is this spasticity?  Since I have had 3 normal EMG's, and don't think I have a peripheral neuropathy, is there any other disease besides MS that would cause this one sided phenomenon?  Everything is worse on my dominant side (left) but sometimes it is now occurring on the right side too.  Thanks...Craig...get my LP results on Thursday and I am worried today.

Just to say i get bad spasms sometimes there constant and sometimes there just in one area i asked recently what the difference between spasm and spasticity have not had a answer yet but i have not read through all the post its so busy on here at the moment. I take diazapam at night and quinnine tablets and magnesium tablets and lyrica 375mg a day to control my nerve/muscle pain.
Im waiting a LP and EMG and another MRI of my pelvic region. Was the LP ok for you iv read some real horror storys.
Ill pray about your results and hope this pain eases soon.

God Bless
Thanks for your prayers.  My LP was a horror story since I have spine arthritis.  If you have a normal back you should be fine.  Just drink plenty of fluids the day before and the day of the procedure, and some beverages with caffeine is supposed to help after the tap to prevent the headache (that is what the hospital staff told me).  Good Luck and when is the LP?...Craig

Iv had 3 spinal blocks for my c-sections and each time its taken them ages and alot of pain to ge them them in im not certain this is the same area i know i had to curl up in a ball on my side while they put a needle in then the spinal block the first time i had it it wore off in the c-section so i could feel the whole thing so i have a real fear about anything to do with my back now!! Did you have a clear MRI like i had? is that why you had to have other test?  Or have they dx you and are just confirming it with a LP?

Samantha
Spasms are my very worse issue. Mine too have been on my dominant side. The other side started joining the party a couple months ago. Unfortunately I cannot tolerate anything touching my legs when they spasm. My toes splay all different directions, foot either curls under or pulls up toward my shin. Last night whole leg toes to hip went on for 25 minutes. If anybody has a good coping mechanism, please share it!. Take baclofenand quinine, but still continue.

I expect they'll do an LP when I go to CCF next week. Dreading the ride home afterward - 3 and 1/2 hours:(  I did have one once years ago - r/o meningitis. Tolerated it pretty well. Hopefully will do well this time too.

I know you are really going through it right now. I will keep you in my prayers. Please take care of yourself.

Penn
Hi Penn, I just thought of something and don't know if it will work, but there is a Dr. Gott who writes health columns and  does question and answer stuff too.  Anyway, for spasms and cramps at night, he recommends putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet (foot part of the bed).  All these people write to him and tell him how their spasms and leg cramps have gone away at night.  So...my father who has had leg spasms at night most of his life, tried it.  It has been two years and no spasms at all at night any more. He doesn't have MS, but  now that I have remembered it, I am going to try it.
I'll let you know if it works for me....Craig
Hi, Craig.

Thanks for the info. I have had far fewer spasms during the night since starting to sleep in my recliner. Someone had mentioned this in another thread back when I was just reading but not posting. Eventually I tried it and it has helped. Hopefully the baclofen and quinine had some effect too. I'd hate to be taking pills for no reason, but I sometimes feel I am. My worse leg spasms are when I am just "chilling", sitting or lying down watching tv or something. Others can occur anytime, anywhere, although almost ALWAYS when I am at rest. I have been wakened during the night this week by muscles almost jumping - my thumb one night, the muscles at back of my shoulder last night. Very wierd stuff.

I'll have to try your idea though - I'm sure my hubby would like to sleep in bed again sometime in his life=) He won't sleep there without me, so he's been sleeping on the sofa for months. That might make that possible.

Penn (Lisa, by the way)
Spasms are one of  worse symptoms.they are there constantly.I'm on several  meds to stop them.

Stretching exercises do help,I sleep with pillows under my knees to releive some of the pulling on the muscles.
Hi, I think I was the one who mentioned that I control the spasm in my right lower back and hip by sleeping in a recliner.  If I lie down straight my whole lower side is in spasm within half an hour.  Finally I got an adjustable be so I can stay bent when I sleep.  But, my slightly increased tone is nothing bompared to what a lot of you talk about here.

I think your observation that movement lowers the spasms is valid.  With increased tone, when there is no movement to break the tone, it just keeps building.  Frequent stretching (like hourly) is really important.

They make beds that each side is adjustable.  

It's nice to have a name for you, thanks.

Quix