Multiple Sclerosis Community
strength

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

strength

My MS doctor said my strength is still fairly ok but my balance isn't.  Does that mean anything?

LA
I'm not a doctor and I'm in limbo land.  However in 2000 my physical therapist thought I might have MS and switched my treatment to exercises for MS.  That was the only time I had improvement and the improvement was major!

So if you have strength but your balance isn't good ask the doctor why he thinks your balance isn't good.  What could be causing the lack the balance?

I would also ask for a referral to physical therapy.  Physical therapy can help.  My physical therapist discovered that if I closed my eyes I would tilt over.  She then spent the next 2 months (3x per week appts) working with me to use my eyes to compensate for lack of sensation coming in through my feet/legs.  It really helped.  I still have problems in darkness but even that is not as bad as it was.  

Best of luck.
Hi, Thanks.

I do have to see a PT.  When I close my eyes I tip over.  

I am wondering if it is lack of balance or strength that is related to MS.  

My strength  is not what is used to be at all. My legs tired very quickly.  

I was diagnosed this year.  I wish I'd seen my regular MS doctor.  She tells me so much more than the male doctor does.

LA
I have a balance issue...at the Neuro appt when they do the Robergs test??  the one when you keep your feet together and close your eyes...well, I fall over to the side.. and it's been so long now my strength is not doing so well..

I'm sure if I got some PT it would help me...but not sure??  let us know what the Dr says??

take care and be careful
wobbly
notDx
Thanks Wobbly,
These answers help a great deal.  My woman MS doctor I normally see is much more helpful when it comes to answering questions for me.  

I close my eyes and fall off to the left and back wards.  I can not touch the tip of my nose with my right finger.  I noticed my toes on my right foot fan out when they test for Babinski.  I could not walk heel to toe.

The doctor thought I was afraid I would fall.  The truth is I would have fallen.  The best way I can describe what is happening when I try heel  to toe walking is it seems like I am trying to get someone else's foot to move into position.

I lose my balance quickly.  The doctor said there is a problem, he is just taking a few weeks to see if he can help with stress by putting me on Prozac to see if that helps.

He added PT so I might be able to get around the house safer. I fell down the steps two weeks ago.  he said he wants to know if this is a flare or progression.  I want to know that too.

Thanks for your response!  I was starting to think I sounded nutty and no one would answer. HA!! :-)
That falling down the stairs is a scarey thing isn't it ?  Please be extra vigilant on the steps - my 85 y/o mom is in a nursing home because she fell off one step and snapped her femur.  I have taken a fall more than once down our steps and usually suffer from bruising and achiness for weeks.

And I won't even get into the embarassment!! :- )

Take it easy,
Lulu
There's a really good sight that shows videos of normal/abnormal types of coordination tests.  See the following web site:

http://library.med.utah.edu/neurologicexam/html/coordination_abnormal.html
Thanks Deb, that was helpful!