Multiple Sclerosis Community
surgery and ms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

surgery and ms

does surgery bring on an ms attack?
I have been wondering this as well as my previous questions on the other post.
I have noticed that anytime I have surgery,, 3 or 4 months later, something neurological happens to me.
Can ms do this? I asked the nurse at Crouse Hospital in Syracuse, NY ( that is where all of my eye surgeries take place) if anesthesia (sp?) could do this, and she said that it would most likely take place immediately following surgery and not 3 or 4 months later.
Thanks Pam
This topic of surgery would make an excellent new post -  I think I'll start one later  when I have a minute to compose a coherent thought. - Lu
Something happening that long after surgery is probably not related to MS.   The nurse is right that it would have to occur soon after surgery.  

I had an EMG last week;  within 24 hours I was in sheer adulterated h__l.  Pretty sure it would happen fairly quickly.

I know you are working on getting answers.  Hang in there and the answers will come, plus you have all our support  

hugs,   Red
Pam,
The body would react to the trauma of surgery much faster than 3-4 months, as Red has said.

The change in neuro symptoms isn't even close enough in time to be considered a coincidence.  They appear to be totally unrelated.

be well, Lulu  

Hello :)

Is this something you have talked to your Actual Neuro about?  As Red had mentioned, that is quite a long stretch between new Sx and Surgery's    Also wondering if something w/in that 3-4 mnth time period after the surgeries happened (heat, UTI, virus, and so on) was coincidental  in that you felt bad (had Neuro sx).

Might be a good idea to keep your MS Journal updated to hopefully find a "Trigger" that will connect them.  Good Luck,

~Tonya
Hi there,

Have you experienced any post infections from surgery?  Infection can definitely bring on relapses. Just grasping at straws here. But if infection free, hope your not relapsing every 3-4 months :(

Please let us know how this plays out.
-Shell
Hi to all, thanks for the response.  I have not had any infections that I can think of.  The only thing that happens to me is I start stressing if the surgery worked, and how well I will heal from it. I get depressed when I look in the mirror (all the swelling and bruising) my eyes are assymetrical right now because after my first surgery in 07, my eyes are now in too far, my right eye is more sunken than the left ( very depressing).

Other than than, nothing.  I thought maybe the stress and trauma from surgery can make my "issues" arise again. Stress from losing my job and then my health insurance was my biggest problem after my first surgery.

Timeline of surgery and problems following:

Sept. 07- 1st surgery,      Jan.08 slurred speech 1 1/2  weeks , cognitive difficulties, depression , optic nerve damage , double vision

March 08-2nd surgery,     May 08 lightheadedness (continued for 8 months) July 08 cervical disc bulge, ( left arm weak, numb to fingers, pain)  stabbing  pains random and for no reason all throughout body,  noise intolerance , unexplained and uncontrollable weepiness, I cried over everything.  sinking into ground feeling , right eye began to shake alot, found out I had nystagmus. and vitamin D deficient. Also found out I had arthritis in hips and scoliosis.

Sept. 08- 3rd surgery,      Feb. 09 slurred speech again 2 weeks,  buzzing (vibrating feeling) in left foot, twitching in left foot same place where buzzing was,(arch of foot)
cold patch of skin on left cheek, ( when I touched my face, it was warm to touch, but it felt cold to me) dont know how to explain it .

Thank you for the support, Pam

Pam,  
I hope you didn't think that we were saying what you are going through is nothing.  

The descriptions of your neurological symptoms are scary and real.  These symptoms are important to track and take to your next doc visit.  

We are just saying that they wouldn't be connected to a surgery 6 months previously.

Hang in there!    Red
I know honey.. I totally understood what you were saying. I just keep wracking my brain as to what the he** is going on with me. It was just sooooo coincidental that after each surgery I can expect to deal with something other than healing. I always hear stress can bring it on,, and I definately get stressed out during surgery time.

Thanks,  Pamela
When I was reading your other post regarding surgery and ms, someone had mentioned about a doctor saying its too  risky for surgery given her ms. I cant remember who said it but I had a doctor ask me if  ms was ever mentioned to me prior to a surgery because of its risks and the trauma on the body. I remember it being question because TIA was written on my chart, and then simple partial seizures. I think this doc. was on to something (surgery=slurred speech =ms flare) and thats why he questioned me.
who knows ?!?