Multiple Sclerosis Community
swallowing problems

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

swallowing problems

Hi all,

I am still trying to figure things out - no diagnosis, follow up appt April 18 to go over MRI... I just started looking at ms in Jan when my new dr said she thought my symptoms sounded like it.  I've had these symptoms for a while and never thought ms.  After doing some reading I am realizing many of my problems do point to ms.

So one thing that comes and goes is this swallowing issue and \i am wondering if any others out there have experienced swallowing problems.  At times it is almost like my brain has forgotton how to swallow and I have to concentrate real hard.  Other times I feel like my food - especially pills - just sit in my throat and won't go down.  Then there are the times I geel like I have a stick in my throat or something blocking my ability to swallow.  When that happens I usually can't eat.  Also when I eat I need to be careful if I am talking because I'll start to choke.

Just wondering if others have had it?  Have a great weekend. A

I'm not diagnosed with anything either. But yes, I have a similar swallowing problem. Sometimes it gets a little better, sometimes it gets a lot worse, but it never quite goes away anymore.

I have to be very careful when I eat and consciously swallow hard, or the food gets stuck or I start choking on it. Food also goes down before I'm ready to swallow, which also causes me to choke.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes this.

I hope so find the answers to your issues soon.

Take care.

Mar
Hi  I have the same problem...

I am not diagnosed yet either, and I have an appt. with a ms doctor april 30th to look at my mri. I have  been having swallowing problems too.
and a lot of other issues..I did not think they were realeted.  I went to a gastro  and had a endoscopy that showed I had a hitial hernia which they treated.

I am still getting food stuck, I have to eat foods real slow and not eat things that can get stuck or I choke.  sometimes I feel that something is stuck in my throat even when I am not eating.  
I am going for a swallow test April 23 to see what is going on I will let you know the results.  Has anyone had a swallowing test?? I don't know what to expect. Linda

Swallowing problems are rather common in MS. However, diffiiculties of this kind can be caused by other conditions, up to and including anxiety.

I'm not suggesting that anxiety is behind what you folks are reporting---I just want you to be prepared for that sort of brush-off, as it's the first thing the doctors think of.

A barium swallow study can show a lot, as can an endoscopy, so try to get these tests scheduled. I personally have had no trouble with the swallowing mechanism, but used to get sporadic and very acute pain immediately after swallowing. To begin with this was always at the top of the throat, right at the adam's apple, but later on I'd sometimes get acute pain at the very bottom of the esophagus.

My gastroenterologist diagnosed me with GERD and said I have an esophageal stricture, which causes a narrowing of the tube. She doesn't think all this is connected to MS, but I wonder.

I have bee cautioned to take small bites or I could wind up in the ER. Bool

ess