Multiple Sclerosis Community
swallowing
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swallowing

What feels different between MS swallowing and GERD swallowing?Could I have both?
When I was in my thirties I had GERD so bad I had to have my esophagus stretched,and I lost twenty pounds.Now I have swallowing problems and wonder if it is my MS?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
338416_tn?1413581329
There's been some speculation about MS causing GERD - if the muscles at the top of the stomach that control the valve weaken, then it would open and send gastric juices into the esophagus.

I don't know about that.  But one of my enduring MS symptoms has been an esophageal spasm - usually triggered by indigestion.
Blank
939031_tn?1289960254
I get the esophageal spasms often, I would swear that I am having a Heart attack!!!  they
hurt horribly.   I had upper GI series in the past for indigestion problems, test never
revealed anything.  
Cyndi
Blank
198419_tn?1360245956
Hi Maddy,

Welcome to the forum. You definitely could have both. But important to find out which is causing you the problems so it's treated properly.

Please tell us a little about your dx, how long, what happened, etc. if you are able.

Thank you for joining us
-shell
Blank
I am a limbolander, lots of sx no dx yet.....In August I complained of movement in the middle or my chest/throat  (no pain felt like movement) and difficult swallowing. Had scope and dr. said esoph. was twisted.  He dialated it.(Also had this pressure to the right of adams apple

It did work for a while....it is now back with avengence for approx lmos.  Sometime it feels as though my throat is going to close....

Can you comment on this at all?

Thank You!  Ozzy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949