Multiple Sclerosis Community
swallowing

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

swallowing

Hello to all!  I haven't posted on here in a while, although I do try to read up on the posts periodically.  Anyways, I have a question:

The last two weeks I have been having an increase in some of my symptoms, or a return of old ones.  My biggest problem right now is swallowing.  I had this last fall and ended up losing around 25 pounds or so.  I do not aspirate into my lungs, but food and liquids get stuck.

The best way I can describe it is it feels like when you swallow a big air bubble, but numerous times a day.  It also seems very "ackward" to swallow.  I have to really think about it and it takes awhile to get it to go from my mouth down my throat (does that make sense?)

Anyways, I am just wondering if anyone else has this and what I can do about it.  I did mention it to my neuro this morning, but he didn't seem to hear me.  It was all "it could be neurological, it could not be" as usual.  I do know about the tucking of the chin, and this does seem to help, but I don't remember to do this every single time I swallow, so....

Thanks, and I hope everyone is staying cool!
Sarah
I had this for two weeks last Summer. It's what brought me back to the doctor. I was aspirating at first then noticed a lack of coordination with my tongue. I really had to think about how to eat and drink.

I still have periodic issues but they aren't lengthy, a day maybe. Today, I've asperated a few times on my own saliva and water. I try to drink with a straw and eat really slow with little bites when it acts up. I haven't been given any advice nor was it ever explored further so I'm ignoring it until it gets worse.

I hope you feel better.
(hugs)
I had this problem recently when I was hospitalized after breaking my hip. I had to drink a lot of a nasty concoction and was told I could overcome my swallowing problem by tucking in my chin when I swallowed. It worked.
I've had a lot of issues with this.  I have Sys Sclerosis and my esophagus is damaged.  I had a stricture years ago that caused spasms and my food who stop in the esophagus and it would hurt sooo bad.  The GI did an upper endoscopy and stretched it out and it worked for a while.  I aspirate now, but for years, only aspirated while asleep.  The nerves and the muscular portion of the organs interact in such a way that it becomes very difficult to sort out.

I know all about the doctors saying "well, it could be..." and "I just don't know what . . ." I haven't had many say much that helped in quite a while.  I hope knowing there are others with this problem helps.  It does me.

Take note of any serious reflux pain, or spasms in the esophagus when swallowing, as this can cause ulcerations and scarring that need treatment.  If it's "just" neurological, then you're doing everything you can already.  I wish you well.

Blessings, Jan
I have always wondered about the swallowing and gag reflex. Since I was about 16 yrs. old, now 39, I have always had a tough time with swallowing something that I have to think about, like a pill. Its horrible. The first time it happened was after I had my tonsils out and I gagged on my pain pills to the point that they actually flew out of my nose. LOL

I figured it had to do with learning how to swallow again without the use of my tonsils pushing it down. I still have to take a piece of food, chew it up and throw my pill on top of my food to trick myself into swallowing the pill without so much thought,... if I don't I will gag or vomit. It's awful and embarrassing.

I have choked on my drinks and sometimes when eating something, it almost feels like a hard slow swallow that takes alot of time to get to the stomach, Very weird and I don't exactly know how to describe it. It actually hurts, but never thought it was anything.

I asked a question on here some time ago about the gag reflex, but not only do I gag on certain foods or pills, but a bad smell can make my gagging go into over drive. lol

Take Care,
Pam
Hi Sarah- I have swallowing problems. Chin tuck, small bites, never talk with anything in your mouth...these seem to be the best answers. Do you have a problem with biting your lips of inside your mouth also? If so, I would love to know how to combat that one :D So sorry you have to worry about eating and drinking.
I do have problems with biting the inside of my mouth, lol!  There is really nothing that I do for it.  It seems the more it happens, the more it happens, you know what I mean?

To all:  Thanks for all your suggestions.  It does help to know that there are others going through the same thing.  I do the chin tuck, when I remember.  I guess I am just self-conscious, as I often put my hand over my mouth while trying to swallow in public.  It is really hard to coordinate the movements to get it to go down right and it must look funny to others who don't know me, lol.

Anyways, thanks to all!  I hope everyone is staying cool.  We are having record highs in WI this week.  According to the local news, today is the hottest day that we have seen in 5 years.

Take care all,
Sarah